Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Cant figure out how to fix spacing issue in css?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    iizag
    Participant

Hi, so I bought a theme and I am trying to customize it to an extreme so it looks nothing like the original theme I originally purchased. I’m doing this for fun. But I cant seem to fix 2 main issues I have come across. The website is bitfiu.com

The first issue:
    I cant seem to make my login box (sidebar) the same width as the text box widget under it. and even when I manage to make it look like it, I do it wrong, because when I shrink my browser it looks horrible by not shrinking in a responsive way.
    http://bitfiu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/bitfiu-2.png

The second issue:
    When I shrink my browser there is a pretty large gap of space that forms between the forum titles and widgets, which I cant seem to figure out how to fix?
    http://bitfiu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/bitfiuissue-1.png

Paulie_D

You know what we’re gonna say…don’t you?

We can’t diagnose code from an image.

Reduced case in Codepen or a dev link please.

iizag
    Participant

but i gave the link to the site which is bitfiu.com ? then use firebug, right ? or do i need to give something else to help diagnose?

Paulie_D

Sorry missed the link…as it wasn’t linked.

Still, having to dig deep with dev tools is not the optimal option.

Reduced case demos help us examine the code in it’s entirety without having to click items on and off etc.

Often just making the demo will allow you to find the issue yourself.

I’ll try and take a look but I’m going to be fairly offline for a week or so but if I can’t get to it I hope someone else can.

iizag
    Participant

@Paulie_D , sorry i did not put it as a link lol

@Senff
    , thank you for helping me:

1.) I removed width: 270px;.

2.) but you asked me to also remove #sidebar top margin and top padding in media query, is that possible to do in a child theme or would that require me to change the parent theme css. I tried just doing it in my child theme with #sidebar as the target, but it did not fix the issue so i assume media query is a different css folder located somewhere in the parent theme with a differnet style sheet.

and

3.) Since:

#content {
    min-width: none !important;
    }

is not actual code, how can i bypass what that parent theme set for minimum width on #content, without editing the parent file, would auto !important, work?

iizag
    Participant

Thank you!
    What was the

#content {
    min-width: none !important;
    }

supposed to accomplish? because i set it in firebug and saw no difference. Aside from that , the login box looks better, but the height issue on a minimized browser still shows. and what do codes like @media screen do (i put the code in the child theme, but i was just wondering on its function)?

thank you again for taking the time to help me!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.