Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Can you use HTML5 tags/features in a HTML 4/XHTML 1 pages?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rzea

Hello,

Although I haven’t tried it yet, someone just told me that you can use HTML5 tags and features in a page with HTML 4 DOCTYPE.

Is this true? o_O

I mean… I don’t think this is possible, but I’m not sure if I may be missing something about all this HTML5 trend or something, so that’s why I’m asking.

This dude said something like: “You can use the <header> tag and IE will interpret it as regular DIV”. To what I said: “Well, then if that’s the case, IE won’t pick up the styles assigned to it, that’s why they created the html5shiv script.” And the kept saying that IE would still work ‘fine’.

It was actually a very surreal conversation, lol.

Anyway, is this true? o_O

Thanks.

Paulie_D

If you are in any doubt about elements or CSS3, I highly reccomend : http://caniuse.com/

rzea

@traq – That’s exactly what I want, JUST to replace the HTML 4 DOCTYPE with the HTML5 one, that’s it… but it’s been impossible since there’s very little understanding of the huge benefits this would bring.

And then, I have meetings with other “developers” where I get the kind of comments I mentioned above.

Also, what do you mean by “self-close” the tag? <header> has a closing tag </header>

Now, when you say “Using createElement()” you’re referring in a to the html5shiv script, right? Unless there’s another way I’m not aware of yet.

@Paulie_D
    – Yeah, I have that one pinned in my tabs, thanks.

Thanks.

rzea

Ah! Yes, gotcha now :)

Thanks for your input traq.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.