Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Can we try a Crowdsourcing web design project on CSS-Tricks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    TheDoc

Just as an fyi for the people involved in this, CWDESIGN changed accounts to @ChristopherBurton

Matt

I’d like to throw in my two cents to how this is organized. Chris Coyier, I know you’re wanting to limit this to possibly ten people, which is a good idea if you want to avoid the Too-Many-Cooks problem, but I want to offer you another idea so more people can have at least a little input:

Set up a repository, be it SVN, Git, Mercurial, whathaveyou. Let people pull the project, make modifications, and let them submit patches up. You have a team of qualified people, the moderator team, who could monitor the patches, approving or dropping them. In a sense, this would be following a congressional style, letting everybody contribute but still have a reasonable and fair congress to judge the modifications. And, yes, Git CAN monitor binary blob changes, so the .psd file would have a change-log description on it.

My hope is that such a plan could let this be a project that would be a true CSS-Tricks-community project that was curated by the CSS-Tricks team. As it stands now, it’s just you (Chris Coyier) leading a small section of the CSS-Tricks community.

Essentially, you’re taking a small-group profession (web design and development) and applying a Computer Science methodology to development.

ozee

@Matt I never got your email, but we should have everything going soon!

Matt

Sorry, I would love to help, but between school and private contracts, I’d love to use the little bit of free time for the little bit of a social life I can afford ;)

I wish luck to you guys anyways! Hope the site comes out as great as I think it will.

Matt

@ChristopherBurton and @ozee, assuming you didn’t read my comment, I was giving an option to you guys so you could have a _real_ crowdsourced project. As it stands now, it’s an amateur ring with a professional sponsor, not really a “crowdsourced” project.

ozee

I read the comment, I really like the idea too, but like @ChristopherBurton says, there is a great opportunity that it could get out of hand. If it doesn’t or there can be more control over it, a great idea indeed. And my previous comment was for @daredanger, I never got your email, try again, you should be in the group that @ChristopherBurton has made too.

daredanger
    Participant

@ozee I’ve sent my email id to your mail id. Earlier I had sent you a private message through css-tricks froums only and not through email. Yes I too have joined the group that @ChristopherBurton made. Excited for the project.

noahgelman
    Participant

I’m sorry, I posted the wrong email >.>

[email protected]

TheDoc

@Matt – it’s certainly not a bad idea, but we have such limited time keeping the forums clean, that I’m not sure we’d be able to dedicate the time to reviewing an entire project.

We’re all keeping our eye on it, of course, but to be fair, it’s not a CSS-Tricks project but one born from the CSS-Tricks forum. To only have some more hours in the day…

ozee

Ready!

andrewsellenrick
    Participant

Ready…

noahgelman
    Participant

Ready. On with the show.

noahgelman
    Participant

Nope, I’m 6th or something. I’m ready whenever

andrewsellenrick
    Participant

@ChristopherBurton I was in Maui, just got back today. I’m ready whenever we want to start.

noahgelman
    Participant

@andrewsellenrick, you’re up, the link to the latest is right before your last post. Go for it and we’ll see you in a day.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 124 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.