Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Can someone recommend a customizable contact form, please?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    __
    Participant

Logged in roaming from Europe (during biggest floods in Bosnia) just to say that.

ha, wow. Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

traq,

I’m still waiting for Stablehost to get me set up. Problems from the start so am not optimistic about any better experience in the short or long term over my previous. Takes forever to get through and forevermore to get a useful reply.

Best Regards.

__
    Participant

Sorry to hear it. Their website says they offer a 45 day money-back guarantee —hope you don’t have to call them on it. Let me know when you’re ready to continue with our tutorial. Best of luck!

Anonymous
    Inactive

You confused an old man for a minute by changing your handle! I’m nuttier than a squirrel turd as it is!

Anyway, thanks to chrisburton suggesting I give Stablehost a try, I am now with Stablehost. I submitted everything to them again and everything went through this time without any problems. I should be up and going in 24 to 48 hours and am looking forward to starting the tutorial again.

As the PHP version with Verio was so outdated I wonder if the contact form would have worked all along had a newer version been in place? I was really feeling like a total idiot not being able to get it to show.

Best Regards!

__
    Participant

You confused an old man for a minute by changing your handle!

I purposely left my avatar intact. For now.

Anyway, thanks to chrisburton suggesting I give Stablehost a try, I am now with Stablehost.

Cool!

I wonder if the contact form would have worked all along had a newer version been in place?

Maybe. But the one we’re building will be good, and you’ll know how it works.

I was really feeling like a total idiot not being able to get it to show.

You should not. Not knowing something is not the same as being dumb. And programming is an exacting field filled with caveats and minutiae. Nobody knows everything. The good programmers just the ones that know how to look things up, and learn (or be taught) things they didn’t know yesterday.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings un-traq-ed,

Well, I finally got signed up with Stablehost and have spent the past few days exploring all the tools in the cpanel and adjusting settings to my preferences.

Unfortunately, the form is still showing “I’m dead, Jim” which means the problem is behind my keyboard. The link is here and I’m ready to proceed with the tutorial.

Best Regards,

Michael

__
    Participant

Unfortunately, the form is still showing “I’m dead, Jim”

Probably left it in the script from earlier. Just take that line out and try again. Actually, just to be sure, it would probably be best to download the files fresh from the gist.

(Use the link here, as the links on my previous posts no longer work.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings un-traq-ed,

I am still getting a white page here. I have created a Pastebin for the contactPage.php here and a Pastebin for the contactMichael1961.php here. I copied and pasted both from the Gist you created and made the changes per your instructions here, but I am still missing something.

Best Regards.

__
    Participant

Have you checked your PHP error logs (hopefully you can access them, with this host)?

During development, if you have access to your php.ini file, you can change error reporting settings to display errors on your page:

error_reporting = E_ALL
    display_errors = On

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings un-traq-ed,

I contacted Stablehost to get some information regarding what you asked. As the degree of php we are dealing with and php errors logs (something I’ve never done before) I needed to get some answeres as to whether the things you requested can be done and in short, Yes thay can. I will take a blook as everything tomorrow regarding the php.ini file.

Stablehost did have a look for me to see if there were any other issues and they said the following:

On checking your issue in detail, we found that there must be some error in the codes of “contactPage.php” . For verifying the issue from our end we created a “info.php” and it worked fine.

Am I leaving out any closing tags anywhere?

Best Regards,

Michael

__
    Participant

Hi Michael,
    Assuming the path is correct,

include_once "$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'form-test/class/contactMichael1961.php';

should be

include_once "{$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']}/form-test/class/contactMichael1961.php";

or

include_once $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."/form-test/class/contactMichael1961.php";

Look at the differences in how the strings are written (especially the " (quote marks), and how to use {} (curly brackets) for complex variables inside of a string).

There may well be other errors, but we’d need to see the error log/messages to find them.

For verifying the issue from our end we created a “info.php”

Is this file still on your server, where we can see it?

If not, could you create a php script on your server with this:

<?php
    print phpinfo();

and post a link to it (I’ll let you know as soon as I’ve looked at it, so you can remove it)?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings un-traq-ed,

Here is the first error which was showing on the page:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ” (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE), expecting identifier (T_STRING) or variable (T_VARIABLE) or number (T_NUM_STRING) in /form-test/class/contactMichael1961.php on line 7

That went away after I corrected the include string.

Now I am getting an error message:

Fatal error: Class ‘contactMichael1961’ not found in /form-test/class/contactMichael1961.php on line 9

I’m not sure what to change there.

Best Regards.

__
    Participant

Now I am getting an error message:
    Fatal error: Class ‘contactMichael1961′ not found in /form-test/class/contactMichael1961.php on line 9

Meaning the path is not correct, so our class definition was not loaded.

Actually, wait:

I was just looking at the file names on your pastebins. I think you got the scripts swapped (contactPage should be contactMichael1961, and vice-versa)…? contactMichael1961.php should be the file with the class definition, and contactPage.php should be the script with the include.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Doh, stupid mistake. I transposed them with the new copy/paste.

The contact form is now showing and has “Example “Contact Michael” Page”, etc at the top left with the form center.

What next?

Many thanks!!!!!

__
    Participant

What next?

I’ll fix a couple minor things I noticed on the form, and then we can move on to validation.

Many thanks!

You’re more than welcome. I’ll post tomorrow, goodnight!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 225 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.