Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Can i get a job Self taught?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Derker Jerbs
    Participant

so i wouldnt mind a career change
    i used to know html and css but never really touched Javascript or jquery.. need a good relearning of them all

can i teach myself html css and javascript well enough to gain a position as a front end designer without any credentials?

is this possible or do they look for people with degrees of some sort or prefer to look at your portfolio

im looking at signing up to Sitepoint or something to learn again

Beverleyh
    Participant

Absolutely! Experience and a varied portfolio screams louder than credentials and little else. Real evidence of what you can do, regardless of whether it’s self-taught or not, will get your foot in the door. In fact, speaking as someone who works in education, it can take so long for something to work its way into a course, that in our line of fast-moving tech, much of what we can learn ourselves from current online sources, will be old news by the time it officially lands in the curriculum. Being self-taught can be a big advantage in that respect. It also shows more passion and willingness to learn which is very attractive to potential employers.

I say “go for it!”. I spent almost 10 years going in another career direction before I made the change to “web stuff” too, and now, 10+ years later, I’ve never been happier.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.