Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Can I adjust this portfolio viewer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LinCSS25
    Participant

hey there! I would greatly appreciate some feedback advice. I have built a website based on this wordpress template.. Check out the portfolio section and how you are able to filter the different kind of portfolio pieces. http://hanna-wp.firstbasedesign.co.uk/

So on the back end of WordPress you make portfolio pieces that are similar to WP posts, but they are called projects.. this is new to me as I havent been on WP in a year or so. So in the portfolio back in area you have this list that you can order the portfolio projects.

THIS is what I want to know, and bare with me as I try to explain. when you come to the home page and go to portfolio, it defaults to showing ALL projects and it shows the top 6 (or however many you choose 16 being max) projects from that list you set up on the back end of wp. So if I click on illustration, it only shows the illustration projects WITHIN that top 6.. but I would LOVE if it would go on down past the top 6 in the list and show 6 illustration projects.. not just the 3 or however many that are in the top 6 . does that make sense?

I am wondering if I am missing something within the WP setting OR if I can hack into the PHP or Jquery (not sure what is is as Im mostly an HTML CSS girl) and force it to do this??

Andy Howells
    Participant

So basically you always want there to be 6 objects present at all times for each category.

You could use AJAX to run a query that pulls in 6 of the posts that match the category/tag you want.

Can you show some of the code you’re using to output the listings at the moment.

chrisburton
    Participant

@LinCSS25 Let me understand this. The Portfolio page only shows six pieces at once from all of your projects (illustration, audio, web design, etc). When you click on a specific category of the portfolio, it only shows three. However, you want it to show six instead, correct?

Andy Howells
    Participant

The solution to this is probably to AJAX a new query_posts on the different categories. If it’s only loading 6 on the first run through it will need to fetch more when you change the category. Ajax is probably the least annoying way to do this, from a visitor perspective.

Andy Howells
    Participant

This is probably the best place to start, tech up top, examples down below. http://api.jquery.com/jQuery.ajax/

LinCSS25
    Participant

Thanks. I think this is way over my head however :(

Andy Howells
    Participant

Ajax isn’t too complicated, think of it like a contact form mailer.

You’re basically running a PHP file on demand without leaving the current page, Javascript takes the data, sends it to the PHP file and then loads in the results (in very rudimentary terms).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.