Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Can Anyone Help Me Develop Chat2 More?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    TheInfection
    Participant

I’ve been working with Chat2 for over a month now trying to bend it to what I want it to do but seeing as how I know an incredibly small amount of PHP, it’s not going too well. I was hoping someone proficient in PHP could help me add a few more features and change it up a bit so it works like the mobile chating app [Kik](http://kik.com/ “Kik”). If you could PM me, I’d love to work with you and hopefully bring Kik to desktop browsers.

__
    Participant

Big project. What kind of features are you thinking of? How do you intend to manage the project (open source? software as a service?)?

Be aware that the “security problem” Chris mentioned isn’t *really* “fixed.” I’d also recommend dropping the flat files and using the database for the messages (in the interest of scalability).

TheInfection
    Participant

@traq Well, I’d need image sending capabilities, as a priority for now. Next, I’d need it to function like Kik. So when you first make an account, you have to find your friends on Kik and then you message them only. Later on we can add the group chat feature (inviting certain people to a chat).

I honestly have no idea what I’m doing with PHP and database stuff so I don’t really understand what you mean by that.

As for how I intend to manage the project, I’m not exactly sure. I was thinking of showing it to Kik’s developers in hopes of either selling it or setting up a partnership with them. If both of those plans fail, I might set it up as an open source project for other people to set up chat services or set one up myself.

Sorry I got back to you so late. Been pretty busy lately.

__
    Participant

I’m not sure you realize how far chat2 is from being a full app. It’s basic and easy to reproduce, and therefore a nice, fun tool for teaching the concept. But even assuming you patch the security problem, it’s not suitable for production (beyond light, casual use).

You’re talking about **lots** of work, not only to “add features” but to make them secure and scalable as well. If you don’t have the programming ability, you’ll definitely need to find someone who does and has the time to commit to such a poject.

Andy Howells
    Participant

If you believe in the viability of the product and think you may be able to have an exit plan, like selling it, why not invest in a developer and pay someone to develop it for you? It would be an investment rather than a cost.

__
    Participant

Indeed. Make sure you have a well thought-out plan (budget + dev timeline + marketing strategy) and feature list first.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.