I can’t reach stackoverflow. Chrome, Firefox, Opera all time out. Even through a proxy. Sites like isitdownrightnow report that S/O is available.
Here’s the kicker: ping and wget both work. I can get the page from my terminal, but not from any of my browsers.
This would ordinarily make me suspect that it’s due to a header or cookie my browser is sending. But I only have SO cookies on Chrome —Firefox and Opera have never visited before (and Firefox is in anon mode anyway). The only headers I’m sending are the standard ones: Accept, Accept-Encoding, Accept-Language, Referer, User-Agent. I can’t imagine SO suddenly ignoring traffic based on any of those. And I know it’s not my IP, since I’ve tried through proxies.
This is just an oddity (I’m not really worried about it, and, as I said, I got the info I was looking for), but it’s nagging at me. The place I would normally try to find an answer for this type of problem is, you guessed it, …stackoverflow. Ah, delicious irony.