Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Calendar (event management) freebie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Beverleyh
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’ve been working on a calendar tool as a side project and thought you might like to take a look/grab a copy, because, well, it’s FREE and I like to contribute to the community :D PHP and flat file so no database needed. Probably most useful to small organisations (charities, schools, clubs, etc.)

I call it ‘Fast Cal’ and it comes with a calendar/event list front-end, and small event management back-end. It’s fully functional – Use it on its own or embed the responsive monthly calendar module, or full year event list into a web page.

Events can be linked to files or other websites, assigned to custom categories (colour-coded with CSS) and additional info is displayed in a popup.

Anyway, have a look and let me know your thoughts or feedback if the mood takes you. I hope you find it useful :) http://fast-apps.co.uk/fast_cal.php

Shikkediel
    Participant

I find the calendar esthetically pleasing in any case. :-)

Thanks for sharing.

Beverleyh
    Participant

No problem. Thanks very much :D

Beverleyh
    Participant

Just an update to let you know that events now export in iCalendar (.ics) format.

Beverleyh
    Participant

Some changes to the monthly calendar module;

Fixed a bug where Sat/Sun event popups didn’t trigger in mobile view.

I also tidied up the mobile view so that only event days are listed – instead of all days of the month.

I also added a “no events this month” message when there are no events in the calendar (e.g. August 2016 in the demo http://fast-apps.co.uk/fast_cal/examples/sample_calendar.php).

If you’re following this thread, download the updates here: http://fast-apps.co.uk/fast_cal.php

Alex Zaworski
    Participant

Hi Beverley,

I’d suggest removing the :focus outlines on the forward/back buttons when clicked. They sort of hinder the aesthetic, and as far as I’m aware if they’ve been clicked then there’s no chance you’re causing an accessibility issue.

Good job with this :)

edit: oh another thing I’d suggest is caching the ajax requests for prev/next months if possible. It makes things feel suuuuper snappy. Here’s one I built out, I start loading the adjacent months immediately and cache already-loaded months so if people want to toggle back/forth it’s quick.

PS I think the way you handled the year view is a lot more elegant/usable than what I was trying to implement, nice job :) Might be neat to have some sort of toggle between views.

Beverleyh
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Alex.

I will look into AJAX caching – I haven’t really done a great deal with AJAX so it will be good to expand my knowledge there.

I like your layout switching options. And being able to filter by tag. Maybe those could be my next updates :) I don’t have tags, but it could be a nice touch to filter by events category. You have inspired me :)

Alex Zaworski
    Participant

Glad to hear I could help!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.