Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Caching a WordPress-powered webapp with HTML5

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BitingGiraffe
    Participant

I’m looking at building a fairly large directory site powered by WordPress. The actual building of the site, especially with the Advanced Custom Fields plugin should be fairly straightforward, but I’d love to add some offline functionality.

In an ideal world, any page a user visits would be cached on their device so they can revisit it offline. What I’m struggling to understand is how this would work (or even IF it would work), especially with things like searching (which I assume won’t ever work offline) to muddy the waters.

I’ve been advised (I’m pretty much quoting verbatim here, as this suggestion steers me into unknown waters) to look into using the JSON API plugin for WordPress the build my UI using jQuery and Javascript templates and then to save the JSON responses on the client for offline access.

This is an area I have no experience in, so I’m trying to gage the amount of work, any alternatives, whether I should hire someone or try and learn how to do this.

If anyone has any advice or would like to share the wisdom of their experience, I’d be very grateful.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.