Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Buying Laptop need advice!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    QarP
    Participant

Hello!

Im gonna buy a new laptop since my old laptop have kinda broken. Im not a big fan of Mac but was maybe thinking about Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro 13,3″ Touch QHD+ but the < button is at the wrong place.

I will mainly code using the laptop but sometimes I also wanna be able todo some designing so IPS is a must.

Any advice? budget around 2000-2500 dollar

// QarP

Alen
    Participant

I’ll second Macbook Pro / Lenovo route, but if you need other/more options. Check out dell outlet store at http://www.dell.com/outlet

I’ve been working on Latitude E6420 for about 2 years now, got it refurbished for about $450. Only thing I’ve done is added SSD and maxed out memory. No complaints at all. I hook it up to dock station with dual monitors when I need to get in the zone. :)

Hope that helps.

QarP
    Participant

Most of the time I will be stationary. Macbook im not sure about becouse havent really used it much.

Then I guess lenovo is the right choice for me. But not sure which one I should go for. Really needs to be able to handle adobe products like photoshop/illustrator.

nixnerd
    Participant

It’s worth noting that Lenovo Thinkpads are RENOWNED for their keyboards. This may not mean much to you now… but the keyboard is part you touch the most… so in my mind it should be of high quality. Lenovo Thinkpads have awesome keycaps and a nice tactile feel, as far as scissor switch keyboards go. It’s very close to a mechanical keyboard.

Macbooks on the other hand do not have a great keyboard in my humble opinion. At least, they don’t work for me. I just recently typed on a Macbook Air and the keyboard felt really, really cheap. Especially for the premium pricetag. The keycaps were WAAAY too smooth, and the key depression wasn’t very satisfying. I could not imagine typing on it for hours a day. *CLEARLY, millions of people disagree with me but, then again… millions don’t.

This is only one facet of using a laptop, so take it for what it’s worth.

I myself have a Sony Vaio that is a few years old and it has a great keyboard. Probably not as good as a Lenovo, but it’s always been a joy to type on.

nixnerd
    Participant

all the best toys are built for OSX / Linux.

This I have to agree with. OSX / Linux is the best development environment one can get. Period. If I were you, I would get a Thinkpad and put Linux on it.

nixnerd
    Participant

Most of the time I will be stationary.

Sorry, last post. If you will be stationary for the most part, why not get a desktop? I know they are not very ‘cool’ anymore but holy s*** do you get a lot more bang for your buck.

QarP
    Participant

Well I have a great stationary so I dont really need to upgrade. Only need a laptop when I am visiting a client in a diffrent city. So I can basicly work on spot :). But still be able to work with adobe documents.

nixnerd
    Participant

Well I have a great stationary so I dont really need to upgrade.

Gotcha.

__
    Participant

Another +1 for lenovo. My thinkpad —in continuous use since 2005— is a rock, and still going strong. And the new ones are pretty damn cool.

QarP
    Participant

Yes. I do actually work quite much on UI/Web but I also do some video editing and other design stuff. Mac I guess is an option but I think its more important to go with a OS that i’m familiar with.

But I think I will go with Lenovo. Now I just need to find a nice model. Hopefully I’ll find one that have < button on the right location x)

// QarP

nixnerd
    Participant

Just a thought: Some Lenovos are capable of dual booting Windows 8 and Mac OS X. This makes it a Hackintosh. Things got even easier when UEFI became the standard instead of BIOS.

There are entire communities of people who are VERY into this. You could even triple boot Windows 8, Mac OS X and some Linux distro. You want to talk about the ultimate testing machine? There it is. You get any OS you want, an awesome keyboard, a really fast CPU and for way less than a MacBook Pro… Like half. That leaves you money for a nice big monitor to hook it up to, should you need that.

Will you get 1337 cred from hipsters? No. But you will get it from hackers.

__
    Participant

Hopefully I’ll find one that have < button on the right location

…where do you want it to be located?
    (and do you mean the [<] key or the [←] key? original question stands)

nixnerd
    Participant

…where do you want it to be located?

If it’s not where he wants it… he can always remap it.

QarP
    Participant

< button that is left from z. Like on a ordinary keyboard. But they if there arent any with that layout I guess I have to live with it.

Dualbooting with mac/win8 sounds like great idea! Then I can develop some apps aswell on iOS :)

And btw thanks for all the replies really appreciate it.

__
    Participant

button that is left from z. Like on a ordinary keyboard.

I’m sure there are exceptions, but on just about every [qwerty] keyboard I’ve ever seen, the key to the left of [z] is [Shift]…? (I’m in the US. Where are you?)

Again, are you talking about [<] (“less-than”) or [←] (“left-arrow”)? or maybe some special key like “back” or “prev”?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.