Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other buying domains — am i crazy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    fishnfrogs

Hello everyone. Recently, I’ve been buying domain names that I think are interesting. My friend said she thinks I’m crazy. I’m not the only one that does this right? With names being so cheap, I figure I may as well buy it now and when I have the time for a project, then I’ll use it. Am I crazy? Thanks!!

TheDoc

All depends on if you think you’ll be using them. They can start stacking up pretty quickly, and before you know it you’re paying a couple hundred bucks a year for nothing.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I’d lean toward crazy.

It takes zero time to buy a new domain and get going on a new project. You can do that two seconds before you start working on it.

And if it’s taken, throw a dash in the name and it won’t be. (See the domain name of this site for an example.)

But if you get a kick out of buying domains, hey, at least it’s not heroin.

chrisburton
    Participant

“But if you get a kick out of buying domains, hey, at least it’s not heroin”

ahaha.

derekbtw
    Participant

It depends on the likelihood that you’re actually going to make a project out of them.

I myself like to save my money. If I went off buying a bunch of useless domains I’d feel like my much spent time working on sites for others would be for nothing.

TT_Mark

My boss is known to buy domains similar to keywords we might target in order to stop competitors getting them….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.