Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Bullets and Numbered Lists outside of div class=entry in WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Whenever I use a bulleted or numbered list in one of my posts, by default, it places the bullets or numbers outside my div. I tried adding a global css statement like:

ul {
    list-style-position:inside;
    }

but it didn’t work. I’ve had this happen before on other items that are inside of a div with a class. What is the correct syntax to access that ul tag? is it div.entry ul {}? Why is this a problem? Shouldn’t I be able to access ul and li globally? Isn’t that the whole point of CASCADING style sheets?

wolfcry911
    Participant

can we see the code (html and css) in question? you can of course target ul and li globally, so there must be something else going on – perhaps a more specific rule overriding this one.

Senff
    Participant

It’s possible that the styling for entry messes things up. I wouldn’t set the style on just UL, that’s way too generic.

What I usually do, is NOT give list-style-position: inside to
    the UL, but add a left-margin of about 20 pixels. Just because I don’t like wrapping text to start under the bullet, I guess.

yep, I found the culprit, I had a class set up on the entry div that was overriding the global ul li. But thank you all for your answers, it got me on the right track. Gotta love the CSS, man! :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.