Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Building a WordPress site without going live till finished

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kloy

I have a client whose site I build in HTML a bunch of years ago.

They now want a wordpress site, so they can edit the content themselves.
    But they don’t want to take the old site down until the other is ready to go…using the same domain.

I can building wordpress site using a staging subfolder, but when it comes time for the site to go live how will this work? It’s not just a matter of moving all the files…the uploads will all have a path that will not match once the site goes live??

Thanks

You can set up all the urls in wordpress anyway you want. You can use the permalink structure like this: %POSTNAME%.html , Just get it all setup on a local server and transfer it . Heres a video tutorial on the process once you have it all setup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1udgYyfMog

TheDoc

Not sure what the person above me is trying to tell you…

I would create a subdomain. Something like dev.yourdomain.com. So you’ll be working in a subfolder called ‘dev’. Once the site is ready to go, you’ll move all of your files into the root folder and then use a super useful plugin called Velvet Blues Update URLs to change all of the URLs to the proper domain (without the ‘dev’ in it). This will take care of all links (including links to your media).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.