Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Breadcrumb Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    TWG
    Participant

I’m using a CMS that will only output a breadcrumb history is the page is part of the navigation setup. So my thousands of pages that are not part of the core navigation don’t have a breadcrumb trail. When the CMS publishes my pages it renders them as static HTML pages.

How can I read the h2 title on the page and output it to the breadcrumb to make them look nice? I’m open to any suggestions anyone can give me.

Paulie_D

When the CMS publishes my pages it renders them as static HTML pages.

Just curious…where would the breadcrumb lead back to?

TWG
    Participant

Well I need it to show the path back to the Homepage.

Paulie_D

Well I need it to show the path back to the Homepage.

If you can’t navigate to the page from your core navigation, wouldn’t that just be….

Home > Current page?

I confess I’m a little confused….I’m not being awkward (honest), I just don’t get it.

How would I navigate to this static page?

TWG
    Participant

Well lets say that in the root of my web server I have 5 folders for quick reference we will call them folder1, folder2, etc. Inside folder1 we have a folder called subfolder1. So if there was a link in subfolder1 called index, the url would look like http://www.mysite.com/folde1/subfolder1/index and my breadcrumb would look like Home > Folder 1 > Sub Folder 1 > Page Title.

Paulie_D

Hmm….interesting.

The breadcrumb is just for indication purposes then….it won’t actually link anywhere…is that right?

Sounds like a JS/PHP solution would be required to parse out the path into sections and then display each of those in order.

If so, that’s beyond my skills.

Alen
    Participant

Content Management System that doesn’t manage content… Just curious what CMS? and how did you implement these static pages? We need to know more about how the system comes together.

I wouldn’t use any JavaScript for this.

__
    Participant

Content Management System that doesn’t manage content…

+1, that’s just odd.

Also, is @Paulie_D correct in thinking that the “folder” parts of the breadcrumbs won’t actually link to anything?

TWG
    Participant

The CMS is called Percussion. They have a breadcrumb widget but all 1,000+ have to be in there navigation piece. We only want specific pages in the navigation. I almost want to switch to WordPress since a free CMS can do it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.