Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Branding, Similarities, and What to do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chandler

The pretext
    Getting ready to re-brand my web design and came up with some ideas. I chose a Helvetica’esc font with a leaf motif to the right. Very clean. Very elegant. Very nice.

The question
    What do you do when there is already a brand out there (In my case sites like, Envato, and Freshbooks) who use a similar motif/logo? I in no way actively tried to imitate, replicate, emulate (whatever) their logo. Maybe subconsciously I liked what I did because I had seen it similarly before. I just wanted your thoughts on how others would handle it. I just feel like my time spent on it has amounted to nothing because to an outsider looking in, it could be construed as blatant copying.

The resolution
    (To Come Later)

I think that no matter what sort of thing you choose (though especially if it is animal/nature based) there will be others that have had similar ideas. For example, I use a falcon icon for my personal logo (see my forum avatar). While the symbol itself is unique (well, unless someone copied it and is using it as their own) the concept of using a hawk/falcon as an identifying mark isn’t all that unique.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with having a similar logo, as long as you have made an attempt to be unique and aren’t blatantly copying someone else’s. However, if your logo is too alike — potentially causing confusion with other people’s branding, especially in the same industry — then it’s time to brainstorm and look for alternatives that are more unique. Yes, you put some work into the current logo, but proper research on your industry should also be part of that logo design process. The strength of your own branding will be significantly weakened if every time someone looks at the logo they think of a competitor.

Matt

The good borrow, the great steal. Trust me when I say it doesn’t matter if you base your logo off of another logo. If they had a good design, roll with it. Just try not to come too close to somebody within the same industry, and there are laws that protect against that. But, in the long run, I see nothing wrong with having logos similar or based off of other people’s designs. It’s just recycling ideas. Let the cynics criticize and let your clients pay you for the hard work.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.