Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Box Shadow Issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Pentarum

Hey all,

I’ve got a content wrapper that is picking up the color of my body background due to the fact the wrapper pattern has a “torn” look to it. Anyone know of a fix so that where it is not white it should be transparent instead of picking up the underlying tan color.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like.
    http://awesomescreenshot.com/0f7og762e

standuncan

Can you explain better? It sounds like what you are describing versus the picture are bass-ackwards?

You know you can also apply a background color to your wrapper and the transparent image, so that it picks up the wrapper bg and not the body bg. But in that case, you “might” be better off just adding that background color to the image itself and then re-saving without transparency, it may save you file size.

Pentarum

the content container has a torn edge to the left and the right. When I apply the box-shadow css the container is picking a tan color from the page backround which is actually an image and filling the parts of the tear that should be transparent with that tan color.

standuncan

I think you should post your code or a link.

Ahh nvmd, now I see what you are saying, I enlarged the screenshot. Yeah the box shadow rule will only follow straight edges or radius corners, so I think if you want the shadow in there you need to apply the box-shadow as a drop shadow or outer glow in your image and then take a repeatable slice and apply that, since you are using a transparent png image anyway.

standuncan

You may also get away with using a div a couple pixels smaller than the container and positioning it behind the container and expanding your box shadow a few more pixels, but that seems like more work than just adding the shadow to the image, in my mind.

Pentarum

Yeah I think I’m just going to go with the shadow being part of the image idea and let it repeat like you said. Thanks for the help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.