Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Borders and border-radius/hover state questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not really sure how to explain this, but you can see what I’m asking on CodePen below.

Is there a CSS way to remove the bottom border of the last list item, without adding a class to the li tag? Also, how do you make the hover state follow the border-radius?

Sorry for the bad question structure, but it’s easier just to look at it and see what I mean than it is to try to explain it! Thanks =P

>[CodePen Example](http://codepen.io/msguerra74/pen/yzaoi)

Paulie_D

There is. Use ‘last-of-type’

theacefes

To add to that – please note that it doesn’t work in IE8 and below (if you care).

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve done it before with a class, but I don’t like adding to the markup like that. I also try to, at least, support IE8+, so I’m not sure which is better. I tried using the same idea to fix the hover state from extending beyond the border-radius by adding ‘first/last-of-type’, but it doesn’t seem to work right. I’m thinking I’m just missing something obvious, but my brain is in Friday mode apparently…

Paulie_D

If you must support IE8 then just add a class. It’s not ‘ideal’ but neither is IE8.

I’m not sure what it is you are trying to change on the hover state

Anonymous
    Inactive

The corners of the hover color are protruding outside of the rounded corners. Thanks for the other info.

wolfcry911
    Participant

add overflow: hidden; to the ul

Paulie_D

Wolfcry’s answer is by far the simplest solution.

In general, I try not to style the ul except for positioning purposes but rather will style the li or a directly.

Making the a link the same dimensions as the li often has benefits that outweigh any extra css.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I added a mix of the suggestions and got it working. I even took away the ul styling for fun! I really like the idea of the first/last-of-type, I just wished it worked at least in IE8 because I don’t like adding classes for weird things like that. Oh well, I wish the whole IE thing wasn’t even an issue, but it is…

cnwtx

Try this: http://selectivizr.com/

I haven’t used it much, but it seems to have worked when I did need it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.