Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Bootstrap – Alternative? SASS? Foundation? Creativity?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nocturnes1984
    Participant

Hopefully i’m not getting shot here but I’m realy stuck with a couple of questions. I’m cruising through Bootstrap but for one or the other reason it gives me the feeling of being restricted. Don’t get me wrong, it looks very nice, it goes extremely fast and it has loads of options.

But when you are working on the project it’s like…no, can’t do that cause Bootstrap works like this…i have to obey. Also, it gives me the feeling of not being in control of my CSS cause its full of classes that someone else wrote. And i’m pretty sure i’ll be shot for what i’m about to say now but…when you look for sites that are created with Bootstrap….they have some kind of simularity…they don’t feel original. Carousel on top, 3 chunks of text divided by 4 in the middle and a footer.

Solution: Don’t use bootstrap….ok, true but thats not what i’m trying to achieve. I like the idea behind a framework. Like Skeleton was something i liked…but its kind of stuck on 960px.

I also have read a lot about SASS and it seems lots of people are pro about this. Is foundation a good alternative?

Long story short:

Isn’t there a way to use a framework that doesn’t cut of my hands in creativity? Like what about SASS? Is it able to give me the freedom to develop while being able to code fast through a framework?

What are you guys/girls doing? Any pointers about this?

Ps: My job is designer…so thats why i’m asking this here as i know there are a lot of good developers here.

Don’t shoot me for saying Bootstrap is limiting creativity.

Regards,
    M.

Nocturnes1984
    Participant

Thx to respond. I do know SASS is just another way to write css but some developers told me:”write your own grid/framework in sass”. Thats the reason of my question. But why reinvent the wheel? If I write my own system…will that make such a difference in looks?

Alen
    Participant

The point is not to get a specific look, but to develop a system that works for you. You don’t have to re-invent the wheel. Most of the frameworks code is open source so you can take parts of it and adopt it to your needs. If you like Bootstrap grid, then just use the grid.

but some developers told me

The only valid reason to have a grid system or anything else written in Sass/SCSS is to be able to code programmatically. Meaning, the Sass/SCSS language is just like any other programming language, it’s much more versatile and flexible, and it allows for abstractions.

Nocturnes1984
    Participant

So what would you suggest? Would you advice me to go deeper into a basic framework and focus on sass? I always liked Skeleton as a framework cause its very basic but also responsive. Only downside…960px but i can change that ofcourse with some recalculation.

Alen
    Participant

So what would you suggest?

You say you’re a designer? Do you work with other developers? What do they use? Would it make more sense to be on the same page with them. I really don’t know. I guess just pick one and roll with it. Otherwise how would you know.

I’m not a big fan of frameworks, I usually start with the most basic stuff and adjust to fit my needs.

Anyways, new Bootstrap is coming out completely written in Sass/SCSS so that might be something to look out for.

Nocturnes1984
    Participant

I work alone. I just deliver the psd’s to a company. I don’t know what happens afterworth. I’m a fulltime freelancer that gets hired just to deliver designs. I mostly use a 12column grid just to keep things a bit organised and I know most designers prefer it this way.

Stupid question but…what will be the benefits of Bootstrap being rewritten in Sass?

Br,
    M.

Alen
    Participant

Sass is more widely used as a CSS preprocessor.

I’m a fulltime freelancer that gets hired just to deliver designs.

Are you being asked to deliver HTML/CSS now? That’s not an unreasonable request, but this is

write your own grid/framework in sass

That is ridiculous. Especially if you’re handing off designs to teams or some agency. Design is design. Development is development. Are your clients expecting you to deliver production ready code? Probably not.

You should listen to Unfinished Business episode 104 with Trent Walton and Stephen Hay. They talk about designing in the browser and what it really means, workflow and etc. Really worth listening to.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.