Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Blog design (for wordpress)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Banzaiaap
    Participant

Hey all! I’ve created a design for a site I’m thinking about setting up and I’ve created a nice mock-up.
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/ … ckupv1.jpg

Any feedback is encouraged, since I want to become a better designer. Also from a wordpress-coding side of view.. Do I have all the wordpress elements that are going to come back?

Banzaiaap
    Participant
    "chriscoyier" wrote:
    I think you have a good start but I would give some basic advice I offer a lot of people, and that’s to stick to a grid. To me this design is begging for it. Many of the elements obviously have thought behind where they are placed, and may line up with other surrounding elements, but just feel off when looked at as a whole. I don’t think it needs a whole redesign or anything near that, just a few tweaks and nudges =)

Thanks for the feedback. :)
    Yeah, I’ve got a few grid-psd’s lying here, so I might use those.
    And the colors I’m not happy with either, any good ideas for that?

Erika

The blue and green sample windows throw me off completely, I will say that.

I’d add a small shadow to that xbox up there, for starters.. and possibly move your entire header over about 25-30 pixels so that it’s in line with your green content borders.

A grid might help, but I think that taking a look at some of your favorite blog websites might help you out even more. Personally, I hate grids, but I love organization and neatness more. Make an effort to separate your different content areas a little more, and make cohesive units of the smaller sections. Meaning, your category and archives areas on your sidebar: while they are near each other, there’s not much difference between them in appearance, and they kind of run together.

When you get down to coding your blog template, be generous with your padding, IMO. Your post meta data (posted at 9:08PM on 1/15/08, etc etc) could stand to be separated a little more from your title and your post content.

I think your blog design is a great start… but there’s a lot of finishing that you can put into it to make it the best it can be.

Banzaiaap
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, I decided to start all over again and I worked it from the ground up using grids.

I still think the main content part is a little plain and the metadata part definately still needs some kind of overhaul I guess..
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/ … blogv2.jpg

Argeaux
    Participant

o snap you got da botzzz

Banzaiaap
    Participant
    "Argeaux" wrote:
    o snap you got da botzzz

Huh what?

Anyway, any comments on that latest design would be appreciated :)

HJ05

I like the new design it is a lot cleaner than the first but I think you should bring back the 360 in the header it was a nice touch. As for the metadata look at how other blogs do having the day in a large font in the middle of the box with the month a little smaller below it. Keep up the good work.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.