Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Blank page for WordPress feed: what to fix?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bluej

Hi —

I just moved a WordPress site from a temporary URL to a permanent location. I re-installed WordPress using a script installer. (originally I tried to copy the development files, but the server connection wasn’t reliable enough, and transfers kept failing).

Every thing is working except the feed: http://motivationfactor.com/feed. It was causing a 500 server error before — now it causes a blank page.

I think there is something wrong with my theme or installation. Can you help me narrow it down?

I’ve tried
    -disabling all plugins
    -checking wp-config.php and removing a blank line at the end
    – checking index.php in my child theme folder for a blank line or coding error.

What else could I do to find the problem?

Bluej

Correction: The blank page is at http://motivationfactor.com/news
    (I need more sleep!)

rosspenman
    Participant

If it isn’t on already, try turning on PHP error reporting. If there are any code errors, it will then tell you.

Bluej

OK — since I don’t have access to php.ini to turn on error reporting, I’m using Error Log Monitor WordPress plugin By Janis Elsts (wonderful).

The warning logged is:

PHP Warning: call_user_func_array(): First argument is expected to be a valid callback, ‘analyticscode’ was given in /usr/local/pem/vhosts/100758/webspace/siteapps/WordPress-4603/htdocs/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 406

Somehow I don’t think that’s related.

Bluej

well, in case it helps anybody, in Solution to WordPress Blank Web Pages without error Display, Sataya recommends adding this to wp-config.php:

define(‘WP_DEBUG’, true);

It worked great to display an on-page error message. You have to turn ‘true’ to ‘false’ as soon as you’ve noted the error, because visitors will see it too. Very handy.

My errors on http://motivationfactor.com/news are:

Notice: add_option was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.3 with no alternative available. in /usr/local/pem/vhosts/100758/webspace/siteapps/WordPress-4603/htdocs/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2910

Notice: wp_enqueue_style was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or init hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in /usr/local/pem/vhosts/100758/webspace/siteapps/WordPress-4603/htdocs/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2944

as you know in this case i can help you if i know exactly what you did! so just try to re-install it my friend :-) one year ago same problem occurs to me(errors on administration panel) and i found out i should remove all blank spaces in the beginning of the function.php file!

Bluej

Thanks @mostafghanbari

The error message refers to a file I didn’t touch, wp-includes/functions.php

I will go check for extra spaces again….

Bluej

OK I found the problem.

There was an extra index.php file in my theme folder, with // silence is golden as the content. Removing that fixed the problem for me.

Thanks for all the advice – it’s all good.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.