Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Better method for returning 'this' ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Consider the following code snip: jsFiddle

Is there a more efficient way for returning an object instead of having to return this; after each method? I’m aware of jQuery’s return this.each, but I don’t think that is applicable here.

Any help is welcome.

Edit: I found a partial solution by chaining each method in a function called all, and then calling it on the object. Notice I still have to return this after each method though. Any way to do this only once?

__
    Participant

What do you think is inefficient about it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@traq

I guess I’m more concerned with the cleanliness of the code. Having to write return this; after every function seems redundant in my opinion. Perhaps that’s the only way of doing it. I’m still trying to get a solid grasp of javascript and often wonder if I’m writing it properly.

jamygolden

return this is what is needed to be done if you’re looking to chain.

You could also look into what Lea Verou did on Chainvas.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay, thanks for the suggestion and help. I have one final question regarding a similar issue.

Have a look at this working fiddle. If I change the init function to something like this fiddle, the code fails to execute, unless I also change this.test(); to myObject.test(); inside function one.

Is there anyway to call the test function using this instead of myObject?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.