Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Best way to practice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

Sometimes I wonder why there are so many grid layouts. It’s not THAT hard.

nixnerd
    Participant

I have a feeling it has something to do with older browser compatibility.

Not really. inline-block is supported on over 93% of machines, as you can see here:

http://caniuse.com/inline-block

Floats should have about the same support level.

I think this is a CLASSIC case of people making things way more complicated than they need to. Webdevs do this all the time. In my opinion, Dreamweaver is so overkill for writing html it’s ridiculous. And… there are other ways to get the same features but much, much faster. That’s just one example. Grid frameworks are the same way. Everybody and their mother has the “best” grid framework. To me, a grid system you understand and can easily extend/mod/maintain is the “best” gird system.

Do you test across old browsers?

Yes. I used to use Browserstack but I grew really tired of the performance of VMs very quickly. I’d much rather test on a real device. This can be super tricky and I’m exploring some options right now. I’d also like to find a way to automate it if I could. And that can be pretty easy with JS or PHP or a logic language. But for layout stuff, it’s kind of hard to automate.

I’m exploring the idea of triple booting three separate OS partitions on my new machine, so I can natively test. Also, I’m exploring the idea of buying this thanks to @traq:

https://developer.qualcomm.com/mobile-development/development-devices/dragonboard?gclid=CLP0qsqE8L8CFQsyaQodwooArQ

__
    Participant

dragonboard

hehe… while I agree that those things are supercool, it’s way more practical to give someone $20 for their old smartphone. So long as they have wireless you won’t need a plan.

But, real (Android) devices are great for debugging.

I used to use Browserstack but I grew really tired of the performance of VMs very quickly… I’m exploring the idea of triple booting three separate OS partitions

Just FYI, rebooting gets old quick.

Browserstack is slow because of the tunnelling and UI, not the VMs. It would be a different story on a decent local machine. modernIE has free Windows+IE VMs. If all goes well, I will have a new desktop by October, and I’ll be VMing the hell out of it.

Sometimes I wonder why there are so many grid layouts.

Why are there so many contact forms? accordions? slideshows? half-written CMSs?

nixnerd
    Participant

Just FYI, rebooting gets old quick.

That’s really true. I nuked my Windows partition and canceled Creative Cloud just to eliminate the need. And you know what? I’m more productive with an all Linux setup.

We’ve talked about this before but I’m not as well versed in VMs/Hypervisors as I’d like to be. Good excuse to learn?

I’d really like to run all of them inside of Virtualbox or something. I know that the really hard core nixers would be like “What? No Xen? No KVM?” But… I barely know anything about them.

But, real (Android) devices are great for debugging.

I have 2 old Androids. Use to have 3 but I gave one to a friend. I keep meaning to put a root kit on them and play but haven’t had the time. Cyanogenmod looks so fun.

I plan on getting a Nexus 5 soon. Unlocked, no contract, I own the device, I’ll root what I want!!!

Just because we’re on the topic of triple booting:

Sorry I momentarily jacked your thread @Jtwa11.

chrisburton
    Participant

Just be aware that diving into wordpress isn’t likely to lead anywhere else: it is a world unto itself, and mostly an “expert beginner” world at that. It mostly leads to production work and doesn’t naturally develop a greater understanding or proficiency of what you’re actually doing.

+

chrisburton
    Participant

Well… have you tried codecademy? For rudimentary courses… it’s hard to beat. Especially if you want something interactive. @Joe_Temp

Codecademy is not a great resource to actually learn PHP — for me at least. All they’re doing is having you write code rather than teaching you thoroughly about the language. I think it’s important to know security but it’s decent for little things like echo and switch.

nixnerd
    Participant

Oh… for any type of security, no. Codecademy does not cover that. Codecademy is for syntax only. You still need to understand basic programming tenets and philosophy. Codecademy will only show you how x is done in y language.

chrisburton
    Participant

Codecademy will only show you how x is done in y language.

Yes, exactly.

nixnerd
    Participant

I have a whole book with interesting PHP tutorials and it BARELY explains security at all. I actually don’t have a firm grasp on it myself. I’m better at configuring the server to be secure than securing a database or dealing with security bugs in code. Ideally, one should know both… I just don’t.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp That Harvard lecture I referred to before (easily found on Youtube – 9 part series) explains a lot about security (e.g. not showing PHP version in headers, XSS/SQL injections, etc).

nixnerd
    Participant

Nice. I’ll check it out. I’m trying to immerse myself in Node.js at the moment. But, when I get a few hours free or need to learn some more PHP, I’ll check it out.

__
    Participant

phpsec.org has a security guide that is very much worth reading (or, at least, keeping as a reference). The project lead, Chris Shiflett, also has some good security articles on his blog.

And OWASP is an indispensable resource.

__
    Participant

Crap, lost my post.

Not rewriting it. tl;dr:
    * phpsec.org (and their security guide)
    * owasp.org

nixnerd
    Participant

That was so efficient. You’ve been getting your RegEx on huh?

__
    Participant

huh?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.