Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Best way to build a responsive website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jtrinker
    Participant

Was just looking for some opinions on the best way to roll your own responsive site. I’m building a relatively large app that needs to be responsive over every device, from phone to 27″ monitor.

I know there are a lot of resources on here already, but I’m just curious how different people implement CSS and js to most effectively build responsive sites.

Paulie_D

…and start mobile first.

Alen
    Participant

It really depends on the project. If your app is image heavy you might need to do some agent sniffing with JavaScript or whatever server side language you’re working with. If you are building relatively large app think about modularity, if you see yourself writing same piece of code over and over, refactor.

If you are just starting out with Responsive Design consider keeping it simple. Start with developing with just HTML/CSS/MediaQuery once you get comfortable or if you find your CSS/MQ limiting, then add another layer like JavaScript.

Hope that helps,

Alen

eta: @Paulie_D, +1.

jtrinker
    Participant

Thank you very much for your responses. I’ll start small and go big.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You should first create a responsive web design and then implement it in your technology framework (i.e. wordpress, joomla, drupal, php etc), start the development step by step, always start the development with a website and them for mobile.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.