Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Best Places to Learn

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Sager
    Participant

Hey all, I’m interested in diving deeper into design and code. I’ve slowly taught myself basic HTML, CSS, and photoshop over the past several years just for fun. I am wanting to go to the next level and be able to design WordPress themes from scratch and eventually take on freelance design jobs on my spare time eventually leading to full time. What resources and/or techniques do you recommend that I use while trying to learn design and coding? I do plan on registering on The Lodge, as I’ve found many of the free videos extremely helpful. Thanks!

Dustin
    Participant

Treehouse, Code School, SitePoint, Smashing Magazine, Lynda, HTML Dog, to name a few.

Advanced WordPress Design and Development: http://j.mp/1gAHtzT

The Modern Web: http://j.mp/1gAI5VY

Ultimate Guide to Web Design: http://www.topwebdesignschools.org/ultimate-guide/

That’s a good start off the top of my head.

whereismykit
    Participant

I learned a lot from here at CSS-Tricks and tutsplus. Pay for the membership on both and get the tutorials.

Dustin
    Participant

My other reply was deleted for some reason but maybe you got the email. In my experience you can read all you want but the best way is to start designing and coding.

whereismykit
    Participant

Also find PSD or do your own PSD of a website. And build it to look just like the PSD. I agree you can read and watch all you want but starting to code is the best way to learn.

Dustin
    Participant

PS just seems like too much of an application for what most web designers need in my experience.

I think newcomers (even seasoned ones) are starting to learn that most designs can be done in programs like Sketch faster, cleaner and with precision.

cwork
    Participant

PS just seems like too much of an application for what most web designers need in my experience.

I think newcomers (even seasoned ones) are starting to learn that most designs can be done in programs like Sketch faster, cleaner and with precision.

I agree. I came pretty late to the game, and was under the impression, based on several popular sites, blogs, etc…that PS was the way to go. Then I discovered Fireworks, and it blows PS out of the water. I have Sketch, and that is a pretty slick program too. New options are popping up like crazy, even a new one by an original FW dev.

as for the OP, I would recommend installing WordPress locally, if that’s your thing. Build sites on your own computer, experiment, play with them, trash them, re build them, all the while looking around on line about building themes and you will definitely get to where you need to go.

As for sites, my favs are this one, obviously, Treehouse, Lynda, and Codeschool. All of them cost, but they are beyond worth it for what they offer.

Dustin
    Participant

SitePoint has really came a long way over the years as well. They have lots of free stuff, and some really cool training at Learnable.

I think HTML Dog (free) was updated in April of this year to include HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript. They are still updating, though, I believe.

Alen
    Participant

design and code… slowly taught myself basic HTML, CSS, and photoshop…just for fun…wanting to go to the next level and be able to design WordPress themes

I’ll venture to say that you are all over the place. If you build solid skill sets in following areas, you’ll have the ability to pick up new things easier… since these are building blocks to any web page. Once you get into more advanced topics like (JavaScript, PHP, and WordPress) seek solid video tutorials (paid or free) to speed up the learning process. But for now, learn in this order…

If you’re into development:

JS/PHP are interchangeable. There is demand for both PHP and JS so it’s really up to you here. If you’re thinking WordPress down the line, then PHP is logical choice.

If you’re into design:

• HTML
    • CSS
    • Design Stuff.

Now you don’t have to be an expert in each. But do try to pick one and have it mastered. Don’t jump ahead too much (installing wordpress, etc.) you’ll just get information overload and non of it will make any sense, making this extremely frustrating learning experience.

We don’t want that.

Dustin
    Participant

Actually, installing WordPress these days is super easy. Most hosting providers with cPanel included have automatic installation scripts; installation manually is even easy. However, installing WordPress locally might be a bit tougher, but even that isn’t really difficult.

I would agree, however, that trying to code WordPress themes from scratch, would be probably more than you might want to take on if you haven’t a solid foundation in HTML/CSS and PHP. I would definitely recommend picking up the basics, and even design really, before more complex languages.

Once you’re ready to tackle WordPress, you might try a guide like How To Become A Top WordPress Developer.

Alen
    Participant

A monkey banging on the keyboard can install WordPress in 5-min. That’s not the point. Ease of installation doesn’t mean anything if you have no idea what to do after. My point is to be focused and build solid foundation first.

Dustin
    Participant

I’m sure everyone has their own ways to learn new things. For me, it’s always kept me interested to somewhat switch around, learning bits and pieces in different areas, more slowly. I think even learning environments like Treehouse recognize this, as their learning paths have you switch around a bit as well.

Sure, there’s gotta be some level of grasping the material before moving to something else, although, I wouldn’t say one had to master a particular area first. (Seems like a somewhat tedious and dry way to learn.)

Here’s a tutorial series on Developing Your First WordPress Theme, at which in the end of part one, states (not a direct quote) “The prerequisites will be a grasp of basic HTML, some basic PHP knowledge, and – ideally – an understanding of CSS.

Alen
    Participant

I wouldn’t say one had to master a particular area first.

Just to clarify, that’s not what I said and I’m not suggesting it at all.

Now you don’t have to be an expert in each. But do try to pick one and have it mastered.

I’ll agree everyone has different styles of learning. But one thing that’s known is if one is focused on one particular thing, one has better chance of understanding it. You may think multitasking is the way to go. But scientific research says otherwise. Now a lot of these topics are intertwined, so learning, for example HTML and CSS at the same time seems logical. But jumping into WordPress without clearly understanding how to structure sound HTML/CSS, seems detrimental to anyone’s progress.

Just to reiterate, I’m not saying for anyone to be expert in one or more things, to be able to move onto something else. I would say, if you have working knowledge, then move on.

Hope that helps.

TheDoc
    cwork
    Participant

@Alen makes a good point, but I think installing WordPress is the way to go if you want to learn WordPress. I had a very, very basic knowledge of HTML and CSS when I started using Drupal. Now I know HTML and CSS way more than before, and I can build Drupal themes and make just about any kind of website with Drupal.

But much respect to Alen, because the truth is, using a CMS won’t teach you anything except how to use a CMS, except I do think it is really good CSS experience. But HTML should be practiced and learned alongside it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.