Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Best Man Prediction

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Junni
    Participant

Am going to develop an Web App by using Collaborative filtering Algorithm..
    which will do these things…

Admin Generated a Task.. and System will tell Automatically that which person is most suitable for that that Task…

by using that Algorithm..

what you think it is good idea to develop or not?

nixnerd
    Participant

Could you write a program that would theoretically and quantitatively decide who should perform a task? Yeah. But… the only way to do that is to assign a number value of some sort to a person’s skills. Now, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Some skills are intrinsically quantifiable. When I worked in sales, the amount that you closed on average DIRECTLY correlated to how good at sales you were. Period. Numbers don’t lie. Not in sales. Your average is pretty much your identity. Coffee is for closers.

However… that is a subset of every industry that only cares about one thing: dollars. No one really cares how you do your job or how you approach it or how you treat people… just get money and you will be beloved and esteemed by your bosses. If you’re a top-tier closer… short of cursing out your boss in front of the entire company… you cannot get fired. You don’t even need to show up to work, as long as you close.

Now, in any setting where a qualitative analysis is required, this becomes much more difficult. You can still assign a number value to quality… but you must properly weight it against other factors. Let’s say you have a system that can calculate error rates of some kind. That’s great! But how do you decide at what point speed matters more than accuracy? The gut reaction here is to say “Speed NEVER trumps accuracy! Ever!” Well, that’s simply not true. There are some areas of industry where it’s cheaper to fix small problems than have a slow infrastructure. Everything… and I do mean everything, is subject to the law of diminishing returns. It’s a fact of the universe. There absolutely comes a point where more accuracy is not better. So, you’ll have to factor in these curves. Again… not impossible. It’s just more data analysis and number crunching.

The real problem I see is that if there is a particularly difficult task, it will automatically go to the most skilled person. I guess this is OK… until they get sick of it. The way the world works now, one gains a certain degree of respect and notoriety for exemplary performance, thus absolving them of the need to perform unnecessarily hard tasks. That’s where managers come from… they grind really hard for many years and now they get to cut out early on Friday, drink and play golf. And… that’s how crappy employees are supposed to learn: They work on crappy projects.

That’s the real problem I see. It flies in the face of corporate culture and believe me, that is one temple of worship you do not want to disturb. Corporate people love corporate culture. However… maybe you can just have a setting that can be accessed and changed by managers to fix this problem. Or, maybe you just market it as a “suggestion engine” …but then, you run the risk of people not wanting to pay big dollars for “suggestions.”

There’s my two cents.

Junni
    Participant

So nice of YOU about all.. i want to make an app so will please tell me what to make which will be good or sensible to make? A Big Mega Web App

nixnerd
    Participant

I don’t mean to be rude… but I literally don’t understand what you’re asking.

Junni
    Participant

I want to Make an App. using some Algorithms, such an app which may a facility to a Community or an organization, Some App which may b Very Good, No matter it may be on PHP and Mysql or With any Framework

nixnerd
    Participant

You’re asking what is the best language/framework for this?

chrisburton
    Participant

I think he’s looking for an idea. At least that’s what I’m getting out of this.

nixnerd
    Participant

If it were me… I’d start working on this idea using Python. Python is SO easy that if you find out it wont work or you have to scrap it… you won’t have a lot of time invested. You can build meaningful stuff really quick with Python. You can create a proof of concept in just a few days.

Junni
    Participant

@chrisburton Offcourse i told mine idea which he rejected so am asking him for some idea..

Joe… bro am asking you an idea..

Alen
    Participant

Before diving in and selecting particular language, you may need to do some research first. See what kind of problems need solving by your App.

You say you want to create application that will:

• Admin creates a task
    • Based on criteria for that task you would use algorithm to determine what person is most suitable to complete the task.
    • System assigns task to that person
    • System tracks progress and completion
    • System modifies criteria and/or algorithm for that person for future tasks.
    • System then, based on another criteria/algorithm determines whether that task was completed successfully.

Before going forward and building this, do some research, I bet there are similar solutions out there that you may take some inspiration from. What language and tools you chose is kind of irrelevant. I would be more concerned about what problems I’m trying to solve by this app.

nixnerd
    Participant

Oh, you’re asking for an idea for an app?

Well, I can’t give that to you, nor can anyone on this forum. We get this question all the time and there’s really no answer. You have to build an app that YOU would want to use. Don’t worry about what you think others will buy. Make an app that you would use. It’s that simple.

For the record, I wasn’t REJECTING your original idea. I was giving you food for thought based on my experience. Take it or leave it. I’m just some dude on the Internet. You don’t need to plan your development projects around what I say. If you believe in the best man app… BUILD IT! :)

nixnerd
    Participant

Before going forward and building this, do some research, I bet there are similar solutions out there that you may take some inspiration from.

@Alen
    is right. There might even be straight up open source code you can use! Search Github and I bet you’ll find something of use.

nixnerd
    Participant

@Alen is right.

Alen, why can we not mention you properly?

__
    Participant

For the record, I wasn’t REJECTING your original idea. I was giving you food for thought based on my experience…

and that “food for thought” will apply to every idea you have. When building an application, there are two areas of expertise that need to be addressed:

• programming

Everyone gets this one. Which language, how to write/use algorithms, designing a UI. To be blunt, this is the “obvious” part.

• industry

…however, knowing how to program doesn’t mean that you know about what you are programming. That’s the stuff @Joe_Temp was pointing out: what skills and attributes to quantify, how to quantify them, how to match those skills to given tasks, and so forth.

Most people can only get this kind of familiarity by actually working in the specific target industry for years. If you’re good at it, you can get what you need via research and discussion with knowledgeable people—but this really is a skill unto itself. Some people go their whole lives never really figuring out how to do it. It takes a lot of critical thinking, deductive reasoning, and empathy.

This is the reason that some developers actually need a client in order to be productive: they might be awesome programmers, but they need a focus and they need guidelines (i.e., an industry expert) to measure their program by. And every programmer will tell you that their job is orders-of-magnitude easier when the client “knows what they need.”

Alen, why can we not mention you properly?

maybe his account is private and so the name has null bytes around it

sorry, sorry, bad PHP joke…

nixnerd
    Participant

maybe his account is private and so the name has null bytes around it

Ha ha ha ha! ^ This guy and his coding humor.

I want to get a t-shirt with the Git logo on it that says “Git it poppin’!”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.