Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Basic Image Navigation (WP)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    apostrophe
    Participant

That’s much better! :D
    Ok, so now there are two ways you can go. You can either hardcode your links or better still, use wp_list_pages.
    If you want to hardcode them then do this

Code:

eg

Code:

If you want to use wp_list_pages then put this in your header.php

Code:

and WordPress will output a list of links with each <li> having its own unique class something like this

I always find the easiest way to check which item has which class is to have a quick look with firebug. Then it’s just a case of replacing the classes you have now with the WordPress classes.

Code:
    ul#nav li.page-item-5 a {
    background:transparent url(imgs/projects_buttons.png) no-repeat scroll center top;
    width:422px;
    }

and so on. Hope that helps. :)

maris

That did it…in the end it was all about the custom structure that was giving me trouble.

I could have actually used the same setup I had in the original navigation I had, if I had set a custom structure in the dashboard of "/%postname%/" and used the directory name in my href.

(Cleaned up my site considerably in the process though…)

Thanks for your help and quick replies apostrophe!

apostrophe
    Participant

Looks like I was wasting my time then. You might have mentioned that you weren’t using any WordPress pages. Can’t really see why you’re using WordPress at all. You could have easily done that with a static site.

maris

No, not a waste of time at all. The site i’m building has a custom theme for WordPress, and I need the CMS part that static sites don’t offer.

The link I sent was just the css pages to get the code working before I set it up for WordPress.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.