Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Baffled about scrollHeight value

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Shikkediel
    Participant

For some reason I can’t figure out, the value returned by element.scrollHeight is about 50-60px more than the actual content height. It should represent the height of the inner p element here but is consistently higher. What am I missing?

codepen.io/anon/pen/NwNoaq

I’ve used this kind of thing a million times before, successful as far as I’m aware of…

The scrollHeight is logged to the console. Please take a moment to look at the actual height of the inner element through the console and compare it. Not matching up at all.

If overflow-y: scroll is removed from .panel, the value is suddenly correct.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Just as strange, I get the same result when using jQuery’s .height() on the p element…

Seems all this stuff got somehow messed up. Yesterday outerWidth() was all over the place too.

Either that or I’m having a major blind spot momentarily.

Edit – logging the entire element itself shows the correct amount of pixels for scrollHeight among the list of properties.

I’ve now also added a click function (for the small custom scrollbar) which presents the correct result.

???

Shikkediel
    Participant

Wow, I’m a total idiot. Only realising that after stripping down the code:

codepen.io/anon/pen/wPGZRN

Here the height is actually the presumed incorrect value but I’m changing the width of the element a bit later on myself in order to put the scrollbar out of view (which was the entire intention of the pen initially), with which it has a bit more space and becomes somewhat shorter.

My brain really has to get into coding again. Like in the early days, spending hours over something rather obvious. :-/

Lol, much better now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.