Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Automatic git pushes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Koopa
    Participant

Hello guys,
    is there a possibility to automatically push the changes made in folder to github, without committing it manually ?

Thanks for your help :)

TheDoc

Sounds like a bad idea, to me.

__
    Participant

If you realize that you have a bad habit, why are you trying to preserve it? Why try to make git work exactly like live editing, when live editing is what you’re trying to avoid?

@JoshBlackwood
    has the right idea with commit messages.

yeeyang
    Participant

If you’re not afraid to break something, then you may want to utilize Git for deployment.

I’m pretty much doing this for my own site (because I’m not overly concerned if it breaks) but for client sites, I definitely would NOT take this approach.

[Using Git for Deployment](http://danbarber.me/using-git-for-deployment/ “Using Git for Deployment”)

For client or work-related work, I would do a master branch, develop branch, and then feature branches to do edits and updates with.

Full Disclaimer: I’m a newb with Git (only 3 weeks in) but I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the basics. Still lots to learn but I’m starting to get it.

__
    Participant

@yeeyang – there’s no reaosn to avoid deployment with git. The point is, that normal commits shouldn’t *automatically* be pushed to the production environment.

For example, you might have a master branch, a production branch, and a development branch.

When you start working on something, you’d fork from the development branch, and then push back when you’re done.

Once you’ve completed testing and you’re sure everything works fine, push the development branch to the master, and from there to the production branch (i.e., the live site).

chrisburton
    Participant

Damn. Git sounds so much more complicated than I initially thought after reading this.

Mottie

@chrisburton Git is very complex, but you don’t need to learn all of it for basic use. There are also a few GUI’s, github makes one, that simplifies it a bit more. I use git all the time and I only know enough to keep me working, but sometimes not out of trouble :P

__
    Participant

…and, if you forget something, [references abound](http://jonas.nitro.dk/git/quick-reference.html).

yeeyang
    Participant

@traq, no, I completely understand where you’re coming from… what I was getting at was more upon not having a develop and production environment and only a production environment for client work which automatically pulls from the master branch. (like the link posted above in my previous post)

I know and am sure that there are other workflows that you an choose from for git deployment.. just ignorant to them but we’ll learn!

__
    Participant

@yeeyang – I understand, though I don’t agree that having “only a production environment” is ever a good idea.

I like the idea of using git for deployment. The distinction I’m making is that I would never work from the “hub” branch (the branch that is auto-deployed from). That’s effectively the same as working on the live site.

Work in a “dev” branch, test,test,test, and then push changes to the “hub” branch when you know everything is ready.

chrisburton
    Participant

@mottie I like the idea that we can have “versioning” and different environments as stated above (development and production). But for a designer, it just seems completely made for developers, which isn’t a bad thing.

Are there any decent step by step tutorials (with a GUI)?

__
    Participant
    chrisburton
    Participant

@traq @joshuanhibbert Appreciate it, guys. Reading them now.

TheDoc

@chrisburton – I’m a *huge* fan of Tower: http://www.git-tower.com/

Koopa
    Participant

Or check out http://www.sourcetreeapp.com, that’s pretty much the same for free

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.