Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Auto Resize of Images

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lesleelanglands
    Participant

Hi there,

I am working on converting a site to be responsive and it is quite heavy in images (each page has a different header image). Is there a way with css that I can make the images resize in my soon to be fluid layout?

Thanks!
    Leslee

Paulie_D

It’s a very broad question and without code it’s hard to help

A quick google for “responsive images” will point you in the right direction.

lesleelanglands
    Participant

Thanks for responding…

Here is the html

Prices

And the css

#header_content {
    position: relative;
    z-index: 35;
    height: 137px;
    width: 100%;
    top: 28px;
    left: 0px;
    margin-left:auto;
    margin-right:auto;
    padding-left: 15%;
    float: none;
    clear: none;
    }

lesleelanglands
    Participant

Not sure how to get the html to show…

lesleelanglands
    Participant

Sorry I dont have a codepen account..

Making my image 100% width resizes it.

Sorry I am a new to the responsive design. I am just figuring out the best way to layout my site again, which previously used absolute positioning.

lesleelanglands
    Participant

Can anyone help on this?

Paulie_D

Sorry I dont have a codepen account..

You don’t need an account…

Just make the demo you need with enough code to actually show the problem…hit the save button at the top and then copy the link and paste it here.

cssgirl
    Participant

Instead of using width: 100%, have you tried using max-width: 100%? Than the images shouldn’t ever be wider than the width of the browser/device (or it’s container).

But do note, if the image had a height attached you will have to set the height to auto or some other override so the ratio won’t get wonky on resize of the page… (e.g the height will stay fixed to whatever is set in the HTML but the width will be flexible).

carinlynchin
    Participant

if you want responsive maybe you should do media queries.

gvinson
    Participant

Moving a fixed width site to a responsive one can be quite daunting for sure. What I would recommend would be to set the max-width of the image to 100% and remove the height.

If you need a specified height, create a div that is the desired height/width and set the image as a background image for that div. Play around with background positioning and background sizing properties to get it to flow right.

After that, media queries are the next big thing to consider.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.