Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End article preview that takes you to the actual article page.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

as i mentioned before i am new to PHP and MYSQL. This is a question that i cant seem to find the answer for on google(maybe because i don’t know how to ask it). So i’m going to ask my question as clear as i can.

I’m working on a blog and this blog has a page that shows the preview of the many posts and a “read more” button that takes them to the page were the full article is written. Thats something that i don’t know how to do dynamically. When i add a new post to my blog, how do i present the preview on the home page, and have the user click the “read more” button that takes them to the actual article? i want to do this automatically every time i post a new article.

PS. I know how to retrieve data from MYSQL so you can skip that. Maybe pointing me to the right tutorial can be helpful. Thank you.

Senff
    Participant

Depends what you use. Did you code that all from scratch yourself, or are you using a specific platform such as WordPress or something…?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I coded it myself using a few tutorials from youtube. Basically what i will be adding as the actual article to the database is this.

<!--content-->
                <div class="content_aligner">
                    <?php
                        $sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM articles ORDER BY id DESC");
                        while($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql)) {
                            $title = $row['title'];
                            $content = $row['content'];
                            $written_by = $row['written_by'];
                            $written_on = $row['written_on'];
                            $category = $row['category'];
                    ?>
                    <div class="content_wrapper shadow">
                        <div class="content_title shadow"><h1><?php echo $title;?></h1></div>
                        <div class="content_text_aligner">
                            <p><?php echo nl2br($content);?></p>
                            <span class="article_details"><?php echo "Written By: $written_by";?></span>
                            <span class="article_details"><?php echo "Written On: $written_on";?></span>
                            <span class="article_details"><?php echo "Category: $category";?></span>
                        </div>
                    </div>
                    <?php
                    }
                    ?>
                </div>

And so since that will be the full article, i want to show a preview on the home page and a “read more” button that automatically takes them to the article page. But i dont know how to do that dynamically.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I dynamically created the article previews in the index page. Its the actual article but with it only showing 500 characters. Now all i need is when the user clicks the “read more” button, it takes them to the full article. I managed to get the id of the article whose “read more” button was clicked. So in the url it has this “article.php?id=3”. Thats the id of the article preview whose “read more” button wa clicked. Now i want to display the full article when the read more” button is clicked.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am. I got a little further since i posted this and when i click the “read more” button it takes me to the article.php?id=3 page with the id depending on what “read more” button i clicked form the preview. now in the “article.php” page i added the code bellow to get the full article to show.

<?php
        include "php/db_connect.php";

if(!isset($_GET['id'])) {
            header('Location: index.php');
            exit();
        } else {
            $id = $_GET['id'];
        }
        if(!is_numeric($id)) {
            header('Location: index.php');
        }
        $connect = "SELECT title, body FROM articles WHERE id='$id";
        $query = $connect->query($connect);
        echo $query->num_rows;
    ?>

But in the article.php?id i get this error

Fatal error: Call to a member function query() on a non-object in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/Poverty To Profits/article.php on line 14

Im not sure how to fix this though in the code above.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Idiot me forgot a little something. Problem fixed.

WHERE id='$id";

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.