Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other [Solved] Are there known issues with pages displaying in Chrome as in FF & IE?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve grown to loath Chrome as it seems to display pages that IE (which sucks) and FF display the same after much blood, sweat, and tears.

Paulie_D

Yes, there are…but it’s only an issue if it’s a requirement that your site looks exactly the same (pixel perfect) in every browser.

It’s one of the reasons Normalize.css was created

http://necolas.github.io/normalize.css/

http://dowebsitesneedtolookexactlythesameineverybrowser.com/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings Paulie_D,

I have Normalize.css on all of the pages I am working on, but in Chrome the height and with of the pages vary from page to page, which doesn’t occur in FF & IE.

One would think there would be a standardization between the various browsers so that so much more had to be done to get a uniform look to a site across all browsers. I mean I can understand competition, but how the hell does complicating web design enter into the bottom line of corporate greed!?

Paulie_D

I mean I can understand competition, but how the hell does complicating web design enter into the bottom line of corporate greed!?

You’re coming at it from a specific point of view so anything I might say is unlikely to change your mind.

Do Google/MS/Mozilla/Opera really care about web designers…only peripherally. We’re not their audience, the average casual browser user is and it’s an established ‘fact’ that it takes a lot to get a user to actually change browsers.

All they care about is…’does it deliver the content I asked for?’ IE suffered for a long time because it couldn’t update / adapt fast enough to deliver ‘enhanced’ content that Google / Mozilla were capable of doing with their implementations of the HTML/CSS specs.

It should also be remembered that the specs are sometimes a little vague. They might say that something should be done…but not how. It’s up to the browser makes to decide how they should do it.

I think ‘Width’ is one of those things…is it including the side scrollbar or not. I think Mozilla & Google went different way on that one.

Greed? I’ve never paid for a browser yet….nor for many (if any) extensions to that browser. I think I might have paid to upgrade my Lastpass account but that didn’t go to Google.

I adopted Chrome as my personal favourite because it could do things that IE couldn’t. I tried FF (and have it on all my machines) but it just doesn’t grab me the way Chrome does.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings Paulie_D,

Can you show me examples of web sites where the pages are not consistent in height and width on Chrome even though they are created from the same template?

Thanks.

Paulie_D

Can you show me examples of web sites where the pages are not consistent in height and width on Chrome even though they are created from the same template?

No, but in my experience this sounds like a template issue rather than a browser issue.

Or how the individual pages’ content is reacting to the template.

Without going over every individual page and seeing what is different between them I could be rushing to judgement but if the template says all the pages should be 960px wide and one isn’t…my first thought would not be that it’s the browsers fault.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings Paulie_D,

I was using an older version of Normalize.css and included the latest, which you linked to, in my pages. This allowed me to make adjustments that the previous did not and thereby the issue is fixed!

Many thanks!

Paulie_D

Excellent.

Glad everything worked out for you.

Happy coding. :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.