Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End API help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

I’m having trouble wrapping my ahead around grabbing data from this API. What I’m basically trying to do is grab the latest movie I’ve watched and output it. Are there any resources to understand how to go about this or any guidance?

Also, is PHP 5.5 safe to use? My host said that they’re using 5.3 since 5.4 isn’t that stable.

__
    Participant

>What I’m basically trying to do is grab the latest movie I’ve watched and output it.

It looks like you’ll have to get the complete list and pull the last one listed yourself.

>is PHP 5.5 _[sic;?]_ safe to use? My host said that they’re using 5.3 since 5.4 isn’t that stable.

Your host just doesn’t want to upgrade. The only semi-legitimate reason is that there are some backwards-incompatible changes (all things you _shouldn’t be doing anyway…!_) and they don’t want any of their clients to think that they “broke their website.”

However, there is _no_ reason not to let people “opt-in” to 5.4.

`5.4` is the current stable release. It is perfectly safe to use (safer than 5.3, in fact). It is also **awesome**; I highly recommend you [find a host that allows you to] upgrade.

chrisburton
    Participant

@CrocoDillon Ah, thanks for looking into that. I would have wasted my time.

@traq

> It looks like you’ll have to get the complete list and pull the last one listed yourself.

Yeah, I figured that. Just don’t know how to connect to the API. I was looking for a tutorial that shows steps on how to do it or are all API’s different in the way they go about it?

> However, there is no reason not to let people “opt-in” to 5.4.

They do allow us to use whatever version we want by specifying it somewhere in one of our files. I forgot what I have to add to starting using 5.4 but it is possible. What about 5.5 that was just released a few days ago?

chrisburton
    Participant

Preferably PHP, yes @CrocoDillon. Although it states something about JSON.

Note: I just tried upgrading my site to 5.5 and it just keeps refreshing. Weird.

@traq
    I think I’m going to stick to 5.3. I think you’ve mentioned that Kirby has some issues with 5.4 at the moment.

chrisburton
    Participant

@CrocoDillon Thank you very much. Where did you learn to do that?! That’s why I’m trying to figure out so I don’t have to ask these questions in the future.

chrisburton
    Participant

@CrocoDillon What do you mean there was a trailing 1?

__
    Participant

>What about 5.5 that was just released a few days ago?

Ah – I wasn’t sure if that was a typo or not. No, I wouldn’t recommend 5.5 yet. It’s for the adventurous; it’s not done yet. (Though it looks like it’ll be pretty cool once its ready.)

>I think you’ve mentioned that Kirby has some issues with 5.4 at the moment.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Actually looks like it was fixed (not sure when; I can’t find the version log. But I just tried 1.1.2-13 and t seems to work :D ).

chrisburton
    Participant

@traq Awesome. I’ll update to 5.4. Thanks.

chrisburton
    Participant

@CrocoDillon Gotcha.

TheDoc

@chrisburton all of your questions are getting such thoughtful responses, full of information. Learning a lot from them, keep ’em coming!

chrisburton
    Participant

@TheDoc You don’t want to encourage me like that. Ha. My questions would fill up two pages on this forum.

Just trying to get data for my about page so I can finally release this thing. Thanks for the support.

__
    Participant

>Awesome. I’ll update to 5.4.

Read the [migration guide](http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration54.php) first.

chrisburton
    Participant

@traq Will do.

chrisburton
    Participant

*this is solved*

I’ll upload a screencast tomorrow on what I’ve been up to with this API and the data from my previous discussion.

chrisburton
    Participant

This is what I’ve been up to lately. It’s for my about page (not shown in the video) on my new site. Enjoy.

http://cloud.chrisburton.me/PsVe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.