Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Anything Slider Database ID Link rather than Slide # Link

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    skinnyguy76

I’ve been toying with the Anything Slider for use on a personal portfolio site. I’m going to be pulling and populating the slides with information and photos from a database (via PHP/MySQL). I want to be able to hard link specific slides from other pages and other sites (facebook sharing, etc.). The problem I’m seeing is it appears (and maybe I’m wrong), that hard linking to specific slides is done via what slide number it is the progression (slide #1, #2, #3, etc.). Obviously, if I’m pulling from a database that is frequently updated, what is slide #2 initially, maybe slide #3 or #4, etc. depending on the new content being added to the database. In other words, I need to link to a slide based upon the database ID rather than the slide #. Now, I can easily insert the database record ID as a class or id in the ‘li’ tag, but have no idea how to make the javascript tie to the ‘li’ ID rather than the slide #.

Anyone have a simple mod for this one?

I should mention, I’m a design side guy. I know my way around PHP just enough to be dangerous, and my knowledge of javascript is pretty much plug and play only (though it’s on the list to learn).

Thanks,
    Justin

skinnyguy76

Mottie,
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe I wasn’t quite clear. I haven’t actually built the page yet for this project, though I’ve experimented with this slider elsewhere. There’s no question about how to add or remove slides, that will all be done automatically with the database query. I’ll use PHP to do query of a MySQL database to pull the proper text and image URL that will be dropped into a repeating ‘li’ tag for however many slides are called for. And yes, as mentioned, I can easily tag the ‘li’ tag with an id=”1234″ pulled from the same dataset.

The problem comes if I want to create a permanent external link to a specific slide in the set. If records are added to the database between the time that I post a link, say to facebook, and the time that someone else clicks on the link weeks or months later, what used to be slide #1 in the series would now be slide #2 or #3 etc. I need a way to have the permanent link tied to that ‘li’ id rather than the slide number in the series on the page, which will forever be fluid and changing.

In other words, how do I create a permanent link to a DB driven slide that maybe #2 in the series on one day, and #5 on another or #6 etc. It appears the links are driven by slide # in the series, and not the id tag on the ‘li’.

Does that make more sense?

skinnyguy76

So if I’m following this correctly, I’ll be feeding the dbID via a URL variable, then the code you submitted above would find the li with that ID and then point to the corresponding slide number. Where would I insert the above code and do I need to do something further to pull the ID out of the URL string?

skinnyguy76

Thanks Mottie, I’ll give it a shot and let you know how it works…

mkultron

Hmm, think I have a very similar question –

I’m hoping to use a mysql database drawn out with php to populate my slider but I have a problem –

The slider will be split into categories with a main/cover slide to introduce the category, then there are an unspecified number of product slides within each category and the number of these will change as more are added/deleted from the mysql database, so I’m guessing the the number of the particular category slide will change also. I want to be able to link to the specific category slides directly but as the number of the category slide will change, I’m not sure how I’d achieve this with something like the following:

// External Link with callback function

$(“#slide-jump”).click(function(){

$(‘#slider2’).anythingSlider(4, function(slider){ /* alert(‘Now on page ‘ + slider.currentPage); */ });

return false;

});

e.g. is there a way I can update the “4” here dynamically without having to manually count through the slides each time something changes to directly link to it?

I’ve had a look at the solution above – as the value is passed as a querystring does this require a page refresh? I’d like it to be as instantanious as the logic above shown in the demos, really.

Thanks in advance
    MK

Mottie

I think the easiest solution would be to add an ID to your category slides, then you can just target the ID.

$("#cat-1").click(function(){
    $('#slider').anythingSlider("#category1", function(slider){
    /* alert('Now on page ' + slider.currentPage); */
    });
    return false;
    });

For reference, look under “Targeting an object inside the slide” on this page. And the id can be on the panel itself (i.e. the LI, if you are using UL LI’s in the slider).

mkultron

Awesome, I’ll see how it goes, thanks :)

cyberpks

Hi,
    I have a problem somehow the same as discussed above and really be great if someone helps me out.
    Actually, I am generating multiple sliders from my MSSql server and the string I am able to generate is

I am writing it to my page dynamically, but somehow the slider dont seem to be working correctly. My problem is something like @mkultron has mentioned, as sliders being separated based on category.

Mottie

Hi @cyberpks!

Well first off, it’s not a good idea to have an ID start with a number – I think it is allowed in HTML5, but from looking at your markup, that doesn’t look like HTML5.

Secondly, I only see one panel in slider 3 and one panel in slider 4. So the slider won’t do anything – no navigation, no arrows – because there is only one slide. Try adding more.

cyberpks

@Mottie,

Thanks a lot pal :D, You really saved my day

That suggestion really worked, but if possible can you give me an idea as of how can I make it look the way it looks for more than one panel. I mean if I can generate the next and previous buttons, for a slider that may have a single panel only. That’s because the content generate is dynamic and I can not say how many panels will be added to one slider. And in the above case the navigation buttons are not visible (I know that’s what it is supposed to be doing, but can’t help in that).

Some more help is really appreciated :).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.