Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Anyone use E Text Editor?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I’ve been using E text editor for some time now, and I really like it for basic coding. But one thing that I really would like is an autocomplete function. Like if I type <p> it would be nice to have it auto complete the </p> just to save some time. I know Dreamweaver has this function built in. Does anyone know of a way to modify E to accommodate for that or should I just graduate to a different editor, or just suck it up? :)

I use e-text editor. But like Rob, I don’t use "auto-close" the tag… In fact, I’m not sure if it has it or not. I used to use Dreamweaver (code view only of course) and I’m never going back.

In fact, I want to use Coda, but they’re never releasing on Windows… I was thinking of switching over to mac, literally just for Coda. I didn’t buy CS5, like most people, I buy every other. But, I was thinking that if I were to have a Mac, I would buy ONLY Photoshop CS5 for Mac, then buy Coda, and forget the rest of the design suite. I don’t use InDesign, I dont use Dreamweaver anymore, I open Illustrator twice a year, and I dont need bridge and all that extra crap. And I use Flash twice a year, which my efforts result in nothing.

mpenguin

I use E-Text Editor. I like it a lot.. better than Notepad++. It has better code coloring, in my opinion, and the snippets and autocomplete options are great. Not to mention Bundles… you can always add more.

So… you want the <p> to autocomplete eh? I suggest you open the Bundle Editor (ctrl+shift+B) and skim down the HTML bundle (assuming you have it installed). Make a new snippet and call it "paragraph."

In the new snippet, delete everything in there and type this:

Code:

${0:$TM_SELECTED_TEXT}

At the bottom, you’ll see "Activation: Tab Trigger " and so on. In the box next to it, type "p" (or whatever trigger you want).
    Now, in your .html file, all you have to do is type p, hit tab, and you have the opening and closing p tags and your cursor is sitting in the middle of them ready to go. Pretty awesome, no?

I suggest you check out bundles and you can start making your own. They really are quite handy.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Wow. That’s pretty impressive. It makes me think I’m under-utilizing my dreamweaver. I should probably look for some advanced DW tutorials.

charlesroper

Forget autocomplete and instead revel in the glory that is Zen Coding. The TextMate bundle is compatible with E and it’s just brilliant. Check it out:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/11 … html-code/
    http://mondaybynoon.com/2009/08/17/the- … new-level/

jussij
    Quote:
    Like if I type <p> it would be nice to have it auto complete the </p> just to save some time.

The Zeus editor has a templates feature that makes it possible to define these kind of keyboard shortcuts. It will also integrate with the Zen Coding module.

Note: Zeus is shareware.

synn

I prefer Notepad++ for most of my work.I recently heard of crimson editor but yet to try it.

ukando

in E-editor I wouldn’t like to press Ctrl+Space for autocompletion.
    Is there a way, it popups on its own?

stockade101

Thesame issue here…Thanks everyone for sharing..

Stiffler

I started using Sublime Text 2 after I found E-editor to be lacking. I now use it on my Mac and PC. It has auto complete and also supports Textmate bundles.

http://www.sublimetext.com/

chrisburton
    Participant

I’m so glad others are using Sublime Text as well. I’ve been using it since June, people really seem to like it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.