Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Anyone try these 3 eCommerce solutions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

and your thoughts?

I’m thinking wordpress e commerce plugin, magento, or foxy cart.

First 2 are free, mostly, and foxycart is minimal. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Haven’t worked with two of them, but have worked with Magento. Magento is extremely powerful, and if you know what you are doing, probably can do almost anything you want it to do. The downside is that the skinning process has a bit of a learning curve and sometimes it’s a challenge to find where a certain piece of code is hidden.

Sorry for my brief and akward posts… left arm is in a sling for the next 6 weeks… :

I guess I need to do some more research into all three… While I like the idea of foxycart’s "add into a site…" the site i’m going to be making is going to be 95% products. Plus, and although it’s not much, a small monthly fee.

The wp plugin has me wondering because there are multiple other licenses to buy upfront for extending functionality, etc. Could save in the long run, but of course…

That’s why I look to Magento… It’s free, and seems to be mostly well supported and capable… Sounds like a good friend of mine named WordPress.

Hmmm. Any other thoughts especially on the other two are much appreciated.

gustav30

I completed a site in Magento, and just launched about a month ago. You can check it out at: http://www.babybellabows.com
    (be warned its about baby hair clips)

There is a lot of flexibility in Magento and I recommend even though it does have its headaches. Also learning Magento’s idea of theming has a bit of a curve, but once you get it, it makes sense. But the community can be a great help if you post your questions correctly.

I think like any CMS solution or E-commerce solution you will come across obstacles and things. An example I just had: For some reason using lightbox with products that have custom options gives an IE warning on checkout(only IE)…..so finding things like that can be a hassle but I think searching the community and asking – you get good answers.

To start out I recommend downloading and installing it on a local web server and just playing with it and seeing if it will meet your needs.
    Good luck with whatever you choose.

stuarth

Nice work on your hair clips site!

Does anyone have any idea on GOOD tutorials or screencasts to get started on skinning a Magento site? I have a client who uses it and I have been adding pages to an existing template, but they have just said they are now looking for a new design.

It does have some pretty daunting structure and I would appreciate any direct links to good advice. I have been using the Magento forum and found that troubleshooting is not always possible as replies are sporadic and everyone seems to have their own module setups.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.