Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Anyone have this problem with Linux and Koala?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Attila Hajzer
    Participant

http://hajzer.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/koala.png

trying to install Koala on my linux partition (trying to go full linux) and when i click the Koala app icon, i get that error (invalid encoding)

not sure where im going wrong

even if I change the name (like it says) it just opens gedit.

__
    Participant

interesting that they have different versions for “Linux” vs. “Ubuntu.” ::rollseyes::

Which are you using (and which architecture)?

I downloaded the 64 bit tar.gz, and it only had:

app
    bin
    node_modules
    rubygems
    koala
    nw.pak
    package.json

The file you’re having problems with didn’t exist. I couldn’t find a checksum anywhere.

I haven’t tried using it yet. As far as “trying to install,” the docs seem to suggest that you can just run it after unpacking:

Download your system version of the installation package [ … ] can be directly use after installation.

I didn’t see anything about renaming any files. Can you show the instructions you’re following?

__
    Participant

Did you download the tar.gz or the .deb package?

Try the .deb if you haven’t already; Mint’s package manager should be able to handle it automagically

I’ll try to

__
    Participant

I’m not able to install it; I’ve downloaded it twice and I get warnings about it being a “bad package.” No better from the terminal. Have you got it working?

__
    Participant

sorry, dunno what to say. not working here, either.

daviestar
    Participant

Did you ever figure this out? From your screenshot you’re using Mint. I had Koala working fine in Mint 15 Olivia, but now I’ve upgraded to 16 Petra I can’t get it working. When I launch from the menu I get the same as you – nothing. When I launch from command line I get this error:

/usr/share/koala/koala: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I installed the .deb through the package manager.

__
    Participant

From your screenshot you’re using Mint

From his what-he-said, too. : )

When I launch from command line I get this error… I installed the .deb through the package manager.

I didn’t try anything further with this program. Maybe @AttilaHajzer did. Have you tried removing and re-installing since you upgraded? That’s all I could suggest. Between the earlier difficulties, and the missing libraries you have, I would say that it’s simply badly packaged (and upgrading to Petra just revealed more problems).

Good luck.

nixnerd
    Participant

Dude, I tried to install Koala on Fedora and Arch. Didn’t work either time. I know for sure that on Arch… It’s not an official package… Which could be the problem.

I just came to the conclusion that I didn’t need it. I wanted it for mass photo compression but Linux can do that natively with a simple script. Bash, Python, Perl… Pick your poison. Anything you want koala for can probably be done in the terminal.

daviestar
    Participant

Have you tried removing and re-installing since you upgraded? That’s all I could suggest.

Yeah, it was a totally fresh install of Mint 16 Petra. When I tried to upgrade from Olivia to Petra the whole thing died.. the joys of Linux :)

In the end it pushed me to figure out how to use PhpStorm’s built in “file watchers”, which turn out to work awesomely. So… goodbye Koala!

__
    Participant

I just came to the conclusion that I didn’t need it.

yeah, I really only tried it to help out Attila. Everything it does I already do somewhere else (mostly from the terminal).

I wanted it for mass photo compression but Linux can do that natively with a simple script.

Oooohhh, I started using imagemagick from the cli this week. Goodness, it’s nice. just chugs away. And docs/support is wonderful.

So… goodbye Koala!

Well, that’s that, I guess. : )

nixnerd
    Participant

Anything you want koala for can probably be done in the terminal.

This is probably the better way to do things anyway, because a terminal/shell is GUARANTEED to exist on all UNIX-like systems. It doesn’t matter if it’s Gentoo or Mac, you’ll have access to a terminal. That means, if you store your meaningful scripts as gists on Github, you’ll always have access to them and can do whatever you need to do. This is useful in a remote server situaion, which you UNDOUBTEDLY will run into at some point. Or, if you just have multiple devices. It’s really just a good idea to use the terminal as much as possible. That’s my opinion anyway.

I’d advise against becoming dependent on Koala or any one piece of software for that matter.

soratofx
    Participant

i have the same problem and i solved:

$ locate libudev
    /opt/google/chrome/libudev.so.0
    /usr/lib/libudev.so.1
    /usr/lib/libudev.so.1.4.0
    /usr/lib64/libudev.so.1
    /usr/lib64/libudev.so.1.4.0

$ cd /usr/lib64/
    $ ln -s libudev.so.1.4.0 libudev.so.0

and that’s all, it works

https://github.com/oklai/koala/issues/76

RonyKader
    Participant

Yes Also I Solved

Step one : Download Udev library from this page -> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pwze4wlsfmn90ee/AABMLIuNlDU5a_KwUkoPUOnNa?dl=0 libudev0_i386 for Ubuntu libudev0_amd64, if you are using Ubuntu 64bit.
    Step Two : Launch the .deb package that you have just downloaded. Now Open with Ubuntu Software Centre or Double Click .
    Step Three : Now Open your Terminal and write
    1 -> cd /usr/lib64
    2 -> cd /usr/libudev0_175-0ubuntu19_amd64.deb
    3 -> sudo ln -s libudev.so.1 libudev.so.0

Step Four : Now Just go to your Search Option and write Kola then you Find Koala Icon .Now Just Launch it and Enjoy with Koala ..

For Details https://gist.github.com/RonyKader/1c359f36436a6fd47dca

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.