Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Any CodeIgniter users out there?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James
    Participant

I’ve started my University project early in a jump start to learn my ways with CodeIgniter. I fully understand PHP, creating blocks, controllers and models (plus just created several functions for my helper classes), but I plan to deploy the final object-orientated site once finished. Problem is, the topic I’ve been researching the idea of creating a stock photography site for over a year and the whole thing has come down to one thing. Time.

It’s gonna take me a while alright. Now, I can code everything from scratch, from login models to AJAX callbacks to request server information and so on, but are there any good solutions/plugins out there to make my life slightly easier? Are there any kind of implementations that would make the coding easier? Creating models efficiently? Anything really. It’s a fresh framework to me, I didn’t really research the framework itself, I researched each individual element that I would require to build the site from scratch.

I had a look about on GitHub and looked at a few promising tools but they began to slightly confuse me when learning on how to actually use them. (Brain = fried).

Regards,

James.

Alen
    Participant

I’m not familiar with CodeIgniter, but with Laravel you can pull in packages you need. So there’s no need to code anything from scratch, you’re basically just connecting the dots. If scaffolding is available even better, this might not need to be fully polished version. As for the idea, depending on how much time you have to complete this, you might need to simplify it little. Possibly develop a specific feature to present as final project not necessarily complete app.

Alen
    Participant

CI and Laravel from my experience, which isn’t all that indepth, are pretty much the same thing.

Trying really hard not to derail the tread but… This is 100% wrong! They are complete opposites.

Alen
    Participant

Opposites as in the purpose they serve as tools. Yes they’re both frameworks, but not the same. Why would two exact frameworks exist? Both have pros/cons.

For me Laravel is modular and together with Composer makes extending the framework piece of cake. Any component is hot swapable. It is decoupled architecture, each component is autonomous. Laravel has joined the future of PHP. While CI is still stuck in the past. If you use Test Driven Development Laravel wins hands down. Out of the box, Laravel offers more.

Here’s Podcast, creator talks about architecture of Laravel.
    http://laravel.io/topic/41/podcast-2-laracon-architecture-testing-and-more

James
    Participant

@Alen, amen. I started this thread initially with the back-end of learning CI. Total regret. Laravel is hands down the most complete piece of kit I’ve seen for PHP. Composer makes it an absolute treasure to use locally. Very modular and easy to understand. Though, I’m having difficulty in creating user registration with Laravel 4.

Apart from that, +1 for mentioning Laravel. Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.