Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS another CSS Positioning Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    margaux
    Participant

I don’t seem to be able to apply css positioning. I have a layout of images with borders and a large bottom padding to include some text like a caption.

Each image is set within a parent div which has position:relative. Within the parent div I’ve created a child div with position:absolute to insert some headings and paragraphs. I’ve also tried setting the child div with position:relative but in either case I cant get the child div to sit underneath the image. I thought position:absolute would allow me to position the div relative to the parent div?

[Here’s the page.](http://www.margonline.co.uk/kjx/case.php “the page”) If anyone can suggest how I would position the child div within the parent div, I’d be grateful.

Paulie_D

Instead of all that positioning, why not use the figure/figcaption elements and floats?

http://codepen.io/anon/pen/wvjGC

Senff
    Participant

Looking at your site, I don’t see the image or the caption being positioned absolute. The caption is commented out as well. It’s a little difficult to troubleshoot this way.

@Paulie_D
    : normally I would agree but with absolute positioning, it’s easy to make sure that the captions are always at the same height, regardless of the image height.

margaux
    Participant

@Paulie_D – such a simple and elegant solution! Wish I had thought of it.

@Senff
    – thanks for replying, I commented out the ‘caption’ to show the images displaying nicely, but I guess it didn’t help with the troubleshooting. I’m still not sure why the absolute positioning didnt work :( so I’ll probably be posting here again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.