Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Annoying issue with IE / Opacity settings – probably a simple fix…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    trevorpdx

I’ve got a transparent background that looks fine in Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera, but the 55% black background is missing in IE, or 100% transparent. You can see my issue here:
    http://www.503rephotography.com/woodcrest/ – anyone know how I can fix this for IE? I’ve done some searching and the -ms-filter:”progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha line isn’t working. I’m not a fan of IE…..it looks fine in every other browser!

I’ve already had a little help on here which I really appreciate. If anyone has any ideas on how I can solve the issue with IE to make it look the same as it does on all the other browsers, that would be awesome!

Trevor

trevorpdx

Ah okay, I was wondering if there was another workaround, but I suppose that will do. How would I point that out in a .css file for IE specifically and not have the other browsers use it? Thanks a bunch for the help!

yinzdo

You can use IE conditional comments to target specific versions of IE, and load a separate IE stylesheet only when that condition is met.

But better yet, consider Paul Irish’s approach which is used in the HTML5 boilerplate, where IE conditional comments are used to set a class on the body element. Then you can use that body class to target the descendant which needs the transparent background. Your main stylesheet will continue to function as expected, but the IE-specific style will override it when the IE class is added to the body tag due to greater specificity.

See [Paul’s blog post](http://paulirish.com/2008/conditional-stylesheets-vs-css-hacks-answer-neither/ “Conditional stylesheets vs CSS hacks? Answer: Neither!”) for a more detailed explanation and how-to.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.