Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Animated Icon Before Link

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rhino.Freak
    Participant

Hello everyone!
    In my header I have this arrangement for showing a link and an icon before it using padding.

<li class="small-icon icon-pm">
    <a href="/messages" role="menuitem"><span>MESSAGES</span></a>
    </li>

Now I have added an animation for the background image but, obviously, it effects the text “MESSAGES” too.
    Is there a way I can make it effect only the background while keeping the same setup and not reverting to using < img > before < a> ? (I’m guessing not but I’ll wait for experts)

Much thanks!

Beverleyh
    Participant

Do you mean a :before pseudo element? Why would you not be able to use a :before (or :after) pseudo element (on the ‘li’ or ‘a’ element)?

I think we would need to see a CodePen demo of what you’re working with, and for example, if the animation only displays when a list item is hovered.

Rhino.Freak
    Participant

http://codepen.io/RhinoFreak/pen/WxbYVY

This will give you the idea of what I’m working on. I don’t want the animation to effect the text, is there any way to stop the animation from effecting the text without editing the html?

Beverleyh
    Participant

If this is what you mean, psuedo elements are the way to go http://jsbin.com/butoxisiwi/edit?html,css,output

I only did .icon-pm-newerr (plus changes to li and a)

Paulie_D

It’s worth mentioning that the br tags in a ul are invalid HTML too.

Beverleyh
    Participant

Yup. I forgot to mention that I took those out of my JSBin too :)

Rhino.Freak
    Participant

thanks a lot.
    :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.