Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Android – what would you choose?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jimmy
    Participant

Hi,

I currently use Motorola Milestone (or Droid in USA, the original one), I’ve been using it for 4 years and because of heavy overclocking and usage it gets slower and slower, not to mention lack of ICS/JB (I won’t even bother, 550Mhz, dude).

What do you recommend?

• I live in Europe, so I couldn’t care less about LTE.
    • 16GB internal memory is ok, if I can extend it (Nexus 4, sorry ;s)
    • long battery life is a must I guess

Basically I restricted my options to Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4 (yeah, I know what I said before, but, but…) and HTC One X+.

I ask you because it will mainly serve as an Internet browser, music player and generally my mini-workstation when away from my PC. **iPhone is off the table.** Too expensive and less useful if I don’t own a Mac.

What do you own, what do you like about it and what would you advise? HTC is sturdy, Galaxy is plastic, LG/Google Nexus 4 is glass… HTC is older architecture though and has less RAM, but having Tegra and whopping storage… Galaxy has old Cortex, opposed to S4 Pro in Nexus and less RAM, but has SD, replaceable battery and feels less dangerous if dropped. Nexus is technologically most advanced, has 2GB of RAM, best screen, but it’s made of glass, has limited user space, but it’s also the cheapest. There is no clear winner and I’m really looking forward for something which I will be keeping for at least 3 years.

What’s your opinion, what would you do?

jimmy
    Participant

And friggin’ expensive :D but hey, thanks for the opinion! I heard a lot about it as well, but the price scares me off, same with S4.

TheDoc

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of somebody asking what mobile phone would be best suited to web development. A first for me! Couldn’t imagine doing anything on my phone.

jimmy
    Participant

It’s not really about web development itself – I rather meant a device which would be very durable, sturdy, fast, wouldn’t break into thousand pieces upon falling and *maybe* has some traits useful for us.

Actually, in the end of the day – it doesn’t matter at all since I’ll probably switch to CyanogenMod10 anyways, then the differences will be only hardware-based.

So, edited the title slightly!

Paulie_D

I get good use out of my HTC ONE X….and they’re pretty cheap these days as they’re a good 18 months old now.

I’m on ICS now but I don’t see JB in it’s future…but by then I’ll have moved on and up.

jimmy
    Participant

> I’ve been very pleased with my Samsung S3. It lays nicely (perhaps a touch on the large side, but I like that) in the palm, and it has good battery time.

This is what I’ve been hearing about S3, that it’s very comfortable and has a good battery. Thanks!

> I get good use out of my HTC ONE X….and they’re pretty cheap these days as they’re a good 18 months old now.

It’s what I’m worried about – is it worth to buy 18-month-old phone now? To use for ~3 years? I guess not really… I’m looking forward to see what will you choose, Paulie! Any ideas?

Paulie_D

Well I am a year away from a new contract and a lot can happen in 12 months.

I like HTC Sense although a lot of people don’t. However I am interested in stock Android so I will be watching closely.

jimmy
    Participant

HTC Sense in my girlfriend’s Wildfire S drove me nuts. However, in One S/X/X+ there is Sense 4 and in new One – Sense 5.

I heard a lot of good opinions about these two, so I might be eager to try.

Paulie_D

And he said…

>And friggin’ expensive :D but hey, thanks for the opinion! I heard a lot about it as well, but the price scares me off, same with S4.

jimmy
    Participant

Heck, I’ll probably sell half my organs and buy S4.

Seems like a fair trade.

Alen
    Participant

Posting this comment from S4, had S1 til recently. Samsung got their *ish together. Great phones imo. Had htc before, will never buy again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.