Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other An awsome shortcut

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    cybershot
    Participant

it’s friday night and I am bored. So i thought I would set out to figure out how to solve a problem on my pc. I downloaded a program called notepad++ used for programming. I didn’t like it so I uninstalled it. That caused a problem I think. When i start a new document for making html files, I like to right click on the desktop and choose new, text document. Then I would rename that file to index.html and start coding. But I noticed that option disapeared. So i set out tonight to fix it. Not only did I fix it but I impoved it.
    I have a folder called templates in the My Documents folder. In there I have a few different html templates. Some with inline css code and one regular. I use these so I don’t have to keep looking up the doctype. it is comprised of this

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"&gt;
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml&quot; >

<head>
    <link href="stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    <title></title>

</head>

<body>

</body>
    </html>

So here is where it gets AWSOME. I downloaded a windows program called tweakui

HERE IS THE DOWNLOAD LINK. JUST COPY AND PASTE INTO YOUR BROWSER OR DO YOUR OWN SEARCH

http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4 … 114585e3db

after installing it. I clicked on the option in the menu called " TEMPLATES " What that does is brings up a list of programs on the right. if you right click on the desktop and go to new, you will see these programs in the menu. unchecking any of these and clicking apply will remove those programs from your right click menu. So i removed some and then I clicked on create. This will bring up a box that says " OPEN TEMPLATE " So after two failed attempts to create something, I had an opiphany and clicked create again and browsed to my xhtmlTemplate.html file that is inside my templates folder in My Documents. I didn’t get an error message and the template showed up in the list. So I went to the desktop, right clicked chose new, and there in the list was an option that said HTML Document. I clicked on it and PRESTO. A new document with the doctype and all the html tags needed to begin a fresh new website. I just love these time savers. Let me know if you decided to give it a shot.

mikes

That’s pretty cool. For single files, like testing a technique or showing an example with a <style> block and all contained in one file, that is a fantastic method. I’ll have to add that.

For projects, everything I do anymore is php, if for no other reason than to be able to include modular code. I have a directory named template with the files and directory structure I use:

/template/index.php (basically just three includes: header, footer and sidebar)
    /template/resets.css
    /template/stylesheet.css (basic layout and standard css that I use a lot but that isn’t really a reset)
    /template/includes/header.php
    /template/includes/footer.php
    /template/includes/sidebar.php
    /template/includes/html_header.php (the head section so it doesn’t clutter up header.php)
    /template/images/ (some images I use frequently like bullets, etc)
    /template/javascript/ (some common .js files)

When I start a new project, I copy the template directory and rename it. Then the entire structure is ready to go.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.