Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Am I supposed to inline critical css on every page?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alex Zaworski
    Participant

I’ve always just avoided doing the whole critical css thing since I don’t understand this….

Is it really correct to have an inlined block of css on every single page? Is this just a home page thing? I feel like this hasn’t really been explained in any of the articles I’ve read :(

Alex Zaworski
    Participant

So after reading more on this I guess the correct way to do it is to just take inventory of all templates used and give each one a stylesheet? What do I do for pages whose layout is dependent on query params (eg I have an events calendar that toggles between a few views based on params)? It seems excessive to have 3+ different critical paths that could be loaded for a page, is that really worth maintaining?

edit: Just saw your response (posted while I was typing)— only slightly motivated by the Goog. I’m trying to get my speed index closer to 3000, right now it’s sitting at 4-5000 on 3G.

Alex Zaworski
    Participant

Already caching everything, minifying css/js, and optimizing images (not that there are very many…).

I’m on a shared hosting service so speeds are a liiiitle sporadic, my most recent test actually ran really well, but I think I can get my start render time down a bit further.

I’m probably just going to table the whole critical css thing for now and revisit at a later date (still have loads of other work to do, don’t even have all the pages built yet)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.