Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Alternatives to Flash?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I have started conceptualizing an idea for a new company and I am looking to set up a site that, without too much detail given, is very interactive and “movie-like”. I absolutely hate flash and find it to be few buggy and very taxing on laptops, tablets, and phones. Is there an alternative to flash that is either in the works or out that provides the same functionality without all of the site and processor taxing that currently occurs?

Thanks

cleecanth
    Participant

HTML 5 or Silverlight are pretty much your only other options. Neither of which is as ubiquitous, unfortunately.

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

Does HTML5 actual allow for the implementation of interactive videos?

DogsGhost

video tag + canvas tag + js in HTML5 can do some interactive stuff, though IE 8/7 you won’t get support.

mikelegacy

HTML5 currently is still in a very new state. Mix that with people who don’t update their browsers you may have a problem. It’s unfortunate, because I find HTML5 to be way more sensible than flash as a whole.

You’ve basically got a double edged sword, it’s either you lose the IE 8/7 people with HTML5, or you lose ALL the mobile phone users with Flash. It’s not fair really.

zackw

You can mimick most flash animations (which is what I’m guessing you want) with javascript and its generally more light weight and browser compatable, mootools is a good javascript library for animations

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

@mikelegacy Yeah it really is a double edge sword I have a wonderfully elegant idea that basically cant be available to more than 50 percent of individuals on the web which is crap!

@zackw
    If I make a video per se will I be able to snip the video apart and implement javascript to handle the video and interactivity? I personally dont think so, but please inform me if I am wrong.

cleecanth
    Participant

You could always do HTML 5/JS with a fall back to Flash. Granted, that nearly doubles your work.

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

@cleecanth it certainly does but that might be the only solution for now!

bmccombs

I’d recommend using Javascript. Flash is a slowly dying breed. Html 5 and CSS3 will be very useful, but until Microsoft integrates them completely, you will miss a large chunk of the IE people (annoying).

ArchDesignLabs
    Participant

yeah I am basically learning that nothing really works how it should and flash is complete garbage…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.