Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Alternatives to Dreamweaver, Photoshop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Rico42

With Adobe announcing this week that they will no longer be developing “boxed” products and only offering a cloud subscription model, I think it is coming close to the time where I need to re-consider the tools I use to develop.

I have used Dreamweaver since v2 (way before Adobe came on the scene) and Photoshop since around the same time. I have always stuck with them up to CS4 when I decided the costs to keep upgrading against the benefits of the new versions became limited. So I sit with CS4 and do most things in my usual comfortable way.

The new subscriptions are way above my budget (especially as in the UK we get to pay 20-30% more than the US), so I was wondering what applications do others use? I am PC based.

I have experimented with Codepen and Sublime Text recently and am getting used to the change of environment. My use of Photoshop is very basic – icons, logos, small designs, but certainly not photographic quality.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Alen
    Participant

There’s nothing wrong with continuing to use “boxed” software until the OS doesn’t support it anymore. Then make the switch. There is no need to constantly upgrade. Photoshop can do a lot, plus more for many years to come.

I would make the switch to Sublime Text as my editor and keep Photoshop CS4.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If your switching simply because of the new Adobe system, your making the wrong decision. This new system allows you to use many more adobe design software instead of just Photoshop. When PhotoShop CS7 comes out you wont have to pay 2,000$+. And you’ll have it immediately. It will also take almost 3 years to pay the same amount it would have cost you to buy Photoshop alone.

Alen
    Participant

Creative Cloud doesn’t make it cheaper to use Adobe products. It’s a monthly subscription for life. So if you want to continue using you HAVE to pay. While, if you purchase “boxed” you can use the software for 4-6 years without the need for upgrading. CS6 Master Collection is about $2k. CC @ 49.99/m for 3 years that’s $1799.64 at year 5 you are at $2999.40. As a business owner you should be thinking about maximizing your profit, limiting your expenses, and not acquiring liabilities. You can always, sell the software, transferring the license… I don’t know… to me, owning makes more sense.

iamshawnrice
    Participant

I 2nd the Sublime Text switch. It’s super lightweight (boots in seconds) and highly extensible.

I learned on Dreamweaver, switched to Notepad++ and have finally settled on ST.

Paulie_D

PS is a lot less than $2000…it’s nearer $600.

Cloud PS subscription is $240 a year so the 3 year mark is about right BUT you’ll get all the updates as soon as they are released without having to wait for the 18 month cycle to upgrade.

My company has the Creative suite but we aren’t planning on moving to the Cloud version for some time.

When we do, the existing ‘box’ licences will still be valid and can be passed on to other users who may not need the latest versions.

Certainly I wouldn’t necessarily use DW again because we’ve switched to Drupal and there is very little integration there.

Alen
    Participant

> I learned on Dreamweaver, switched to Notepad++ and have finally settled on ST.

My path as well.

Here’s a great overview of ST2 – http://youtu.be/TZ-bgcJ6fQo

TheDoc

I am now using Sublime Text 2 ($70) and [Sketch](https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sketch/id402476602 “Sketch App”) ($49).

Alen
    Participant

Time to invest in Adobe stock.

ChrisP
    Participant

> I am now using Sublime Text 2 ($70) and Sketch ($49). – @TheDoc

+1 and love it. Wish there was a PC equivalent though

Samuel Oloruntoba
    Participant

i use aptana studio, and it is lovely and has a nice interface

Rico42

Sublime Text 2 is certainly working well for me so that is half the problem solved. Looks like I will stick with Photoshop CS4 for now.

My rational for asking is I have a new motherboard & processor to setup, so will do a fresh install of my PC and it seemed a good time to review my software – not just the fright at Adobe’s cost models.

Thanks for the all the suggestions. Very much appreciated.

Paulie_D

FW has been discontinued by Adobe. so if you’re using it, now would be the time to make the change.

TheDoc

> how is Sketch? @cwork

It’s not without its quirks, but it’s *super* lightweight. The export options are great (especially when dealing with sprites). I’ve been enjoying it so far, but I’m mostly just working off our designers’ work, so I’m not using it for design too much.

wolfcry911
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.