Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Alternatives to Bluehost?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    StephBertha
    Participant

Hi there,

I’ve been using Bluehost for awhile, but it’s really sucking lately! Sites are going down left and right, server is really slow. I’m just done with them. But I don’t know of any other host that is good and somewhat in the same price range?

Do you know of any web hosts that are reliable, but not super expensive? All my websites are in WordPress.

Thank you,
    Stephanie

Senff
    Participant

Hostgator, Dreamhost, Godaddy, Siteground, Flywheel….so many alternatives! It all depends on your budget, really.

StephBertha
    Participant

Hi Senff,

Thank you for your response. I heard Hostgator, Dreamhost and GoDaddy were bad… Yes, no? Budget is $20.00 a month.

Shikkediel
    Participant

I see their own main page is even down. I know the feeling, I’m with Host1Plus and they had 40+ hours downtime because of an unstable system just before Black Friday. Being a hobbyist, that’s just annoying but some people depend on that hosting for their livelihood. That said, I’ve been very happy with their free VPS and now $6 a month subscription for quite a few years now. Their prices can’t be beat. But I think all mainstream providers suck at times, especially with shared hosting. If you want to be as worry free as it might get, going with a managed VPS at WiredTree would be an option. But that’s 50 buckaroos a month…

I.m.learning
    Participant

What’s wrong with Hostgator? My host was around $70 to start for the year, now it is rising to $90. They changed much of my code and they would not tell me why.

I was looking into Hostgator because some colleges use them and the cost was going to be about $150 for 3 years.

StephBertha
    Participant

HostGator has the same parent company as Bluehost. Their parent company is called Endurance International Group. I kind of assumed HostGator, or any company under the same parent company, would suck the same. No?

Wow @Shikkediel, thank goodness you are just a hobbyist there! Considering I run an ecommerce store, I would be upset.

I’ll be doing some research on this, just wanted to see what you guys say. Online reviews can be biased (where the reviewee can be compensated), so I wanted to see if any of you had a recommendation.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Lots of angry website owners on Twitter. Horrible timing too.

If you’re running a store, I’d consider going with one of the higher end providers. LiquidWeb could be another one of those.

Searching online can make one’s brain overload. It’s always the same companies, maybe in slightly different order. And there’s always complaints somewhere. From what I can see, Siteground seems to have the best current rep.

LinuxGeek
    Participant

I would check out a company I work with and host my personal site through, Nexcess.net. They offer managed WordPress plans with 24/7 support starting at about $12 a month. These are not some oversold, under managed servers either. They are an independent company that owns their own servers in Detroit area and as a low level shared plan you have access to the same support that the enterprise customers do. Pretty much the exact opposite of an EIG company.

StephBertha
    Participant

Hi LinuxGeek — thanks for the recommendation! I’ll be checking them out. I definitely want a server that is not like EIG!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.