Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Agreement and copyright [Few questions]

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    javascriptnewbie
    Participant

First question:
    So lets say I’m making a website for a client, we’ve talked about everything like hosting design and other stuff.. and the client has agreed.
    I’ve seen people talk about the contract between designer/developer and client. I’m not sure whether verbal contract is enough.

Is there any written contract for these sort of stuff? If there is how should I go about it. If there a hardcopy that I can buy?

Second,
    – I made logo for the client’s website. Do I charge him extra for that?
    – Do I need to tell him that I will be making logo for him and include it’s cost in total?
    – How do I go about copyright, is it just about buying copyright on the clients name? Do I also charge extra for that?

__
    Participant

I’m not sure whether verbal contract is enough.

“Enough” for what? If you’re asking from a legal standpoint, start with the obvious: can you even prove there actually was a verbal contract?

If you don’t catch my meaning: No.
    A verbal contract is effectively the same as not having a contract.

More than that, most courts give the advantage to the customer, not the seller (i.e., you). You are the one who will have to prove every last thing you claim was part of your agreement. If your client says, “Oh, he never told me that, why would I agree to that?” then, unless you can produce an email or a receipt that notes it in writing, poof, you never told him that.

Is there any written contract for these sort of stuff? If there is how should I go about it. If there a hardcopy that I can buy?

There are plenty of examples online. Some are free, some cost money. Most, IMO, are not worth it. The best option is to hire a paralegal, who specializes in your field, to draft a standard contract for you.

I made logo for the client’s website. Do I charge him extra for that?

Did you tell him you would? and did he agree?

How do I go about copyright, is it just about buying copyright on the clients name? Do I also charge extra for that?

You need to learn what a copyright is. It is not something you buy. In most jurisdictions, copyright is automatic. Registering a copyright (e.g., with the US Copyright Office) only makes your rights easier to protect in court.

If you wish for your client to hold the rights to what you create, you should have an IP lawyer help you with it. Stop and think first, however: it’s probably not in your own best interest.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.