Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other advice please? someone has straight up copied the site i made and changed the colour…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    silverlulu
    Participant

i made a website for a guy i knew from school…

it’s http://www.procurehealth.co.uk

it’s a wordpress cms. i charged him 800quid – which was a steal, even if you don’t think it’s any good ;)

he’s now got a new site which someone else has made for him which has taken all my code, changed the colour and some pics and now he’s showing it off. he didn’t ask my permission, or anything.

http://www.procurebusiness.co.uk

is there anything i can do about this? can i get money off him? I am not trying to be a money hungry asshole, but i feel a bit dis-respected by it. it pisses me off that he didn’t ask me to do it, or didn’t even ask if it was alright to copy it.

what do you guys think?

any help would be really appreciated.

thanks, silvers

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Did you put an author in the CSS? Either way that is infringement on your design. I would contact him to let him know that he is infringing on your material and ask him to take it down. If he refuses I would tell him you are taking legal actions to protect your property.

When you design for people you need to put an author inside the CSS and make sure you put something like *Any changes to this code is prohibited by anyone but the author*

Also, make contracts for your clients to protect yourself from things like this and non-payment.

Post back if he says anything, if you decide to contact him.

silverlulu
    Participant

thanks very much for the advice. i have emailed him explaining that, if nothing else, it’s disrespectful. he has probably paid someone else do it for him knowing how hard i worked on it in the first place.

i definitely agree with what you are saying regarding contracts and css authoring.

thanks again. i’ll keep this updated if/when he replies!

silvers

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

You’re Welcome.

TheDoc

Hmmmm… It all depends on what the contract says (and if there is one).

Laws are different depending on where you are. In some countries, copyright of the work is transferred to the client upon completion of the project, in other countries the copyright stays with the designer/developer unless otherwise noted.

cybershot
    Participant

how did you find the second site?

silverlulu
    Participant

thanks guys…

i found the site as he was on facebook telling everyone that he has a great new site to go with the one i made.

as for a contract, we had a basic one. it didn’t mention who owns the code, although on the actual website in the footer i have put “© Copyright 2010. Silver Man Web Design All Rights Reserved”

Silver Man is me, so surely that states that i own the code even if we haven’t put it down in the contract?

if someone could let me know i would be really grateful. thanks!!! ;)

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Yes, you are correct. Once you have put the copyright on the page, you own it. Unless the person has registered trademarks, etc. However, in that case you still own the code but not what the person has registered. I am from NY and that would be considered copyright infringement. The steps I would take is to contact him and ask him to remove the code as he is infringing on my material. If he refuses, I would take him to court and seek damages.

silverlulu
    Participant

^ brilliant! thanks very much for the advice. my just have to do that now, as he has been very unapologetic about it. in fact he’s been a total asshole ;)

cybershot
    Participant

well, if you still have the current passwords for the site you did put up, maybe you should go there and delete all the files. Tell him he only paid for one license so he only gets one site

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

cybershot has a good suggestion.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.