Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Adobe Dreamweaver. Love it or Hate it ?!?!?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    JohnMotylJr
    Participant

This is more or less a poll in essence. I am wanting to see the general consensus about using Dreamweaver as a text editor (considering the target audience from css-tricks is mainly front and back end web development).
    When i started to learn html and css there were other students in class that were using Dreamweaver and my teacher had told us just to use notepad (i cheated and used notepad ++ because of my eyes). He said Dreamweaver makes you lazy, would you agree?

I personally still use good ol notepad++ for my web and java stuff but i have installed a testing server for my php and was debating trying Dreamweaver just from the things i have read about site management etc.

BTW: i am just interested in trying Dreamweaver, too broke to purchase and don’t want to steal from my soon to be industry brothers by pirating :)

jamygolden

0 – Dreamweaver
    1 – Not Dreamweaver

TheDoc

I’m sure your prof told you that because people will go into ‘Design’ view and just drag stuff around. As an editor, DW is actually quite good, but it’s too expensive for what you get.

If you’re on a Mac, you have options like Coda, Textmate and Sublime Text 2. If you’re on Windows, my vote would go to Sublime Text 2.

All of those things are cheaper*, more light-weight and efficient.

*I didn’t look up all of the prices, but that’s a solid assumption

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

I am a windows user, i did check out that Sublime Text 2, seems similar to notepad ++ but i honestly havent looked into too much. Not yet at least. I had tutored another student on html, previous Dreamweaver user, and he did not know how to link a style sheet so i would agree that it seems that it makes things too easy.

Thanks for the reference with that text editor, i enjoy light weight and simple.

Just to follow suite…

0 – Dreamweaver
    2 – Not Dreamweaver

0 – Dreamweaver
    3 – Not Dreamweaver

I use Sublime Text 2.

I’ve been using dreamweaver for 8 months now. I love it – once you grasp it, it’s a total time saver.

Edit by jamy_za:
    1 – Dreamweaver
    3 – Not Dreamweaver

ernest

Dreamweaver has some powerful file handling options that alot of code editors don’t get. For example, if you move a .html doc to a different directory within DW, it will automatically change the links throughout your entire site to point to that new location. Also you can make library items that allow you to do site-wide changes with a single edit. These things can be invaluable if your working with a 50 or more page site. I will note, the design view of dreamweaver, where supposedly you can click and drag stuff around to make websites without knowing code…. well thats completely SCi-Fi. U cant make anything good that way.

If your website is really big…
    2 – Dreamweaver (absolutely!)
    3 – Not Dreamweaver

If your website is NOT really big…
    1 – Dreamweaver
    4 – Not Dreamweaver

jamygolden

If you remotely vote for DW, it’s +1 for DW.

Score:
    2 – Dreamweaver
    3 – Not Dreamweaver

Paulie_D

Sorry….I think this is coming at it from the wrong angle.

“I am wanting to see the general consensus about using Dreamweaver as a text editor”.

DW should not be voted on just as a text editor alone because it’s a whole lot more than that and, as others have said, there are cheaper (and arguably better) stand alone options out there.

You’re not comparing apples with apples. You’re comparing an apple (not DW) with a whole bowl of fruit.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

Thanks ernest, different point of view.

@Paulie_D
    , can you expand more on your comment? You just may be right, i may be trying to compare apples with whole bowls of fruit, just educate me please.

TheDoc

@Paulie_D, I agree and disagree at the same time. Lots of other editors contain more (and better) features than DW does. Some of them (like Coda) even have built in FTP as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I prefer a lighter method for my development. Features that @ernest mention do not apply to me so much as I develop for WordPress.

Sublime Text 2 is my current favorite for HTML/PHP, and I use Espresso for CSS.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

I am wondering, a lynda.com tutorial i have seen before, someone using Dreamweaver was able to ftp from Dreamweaver and upload and refresh files that way, live.

@TheDoc
    , i notice a lot of people speak of Coda, i am a Windows user, is Coda Mac specific?

Currently switching between notepad++ and Sublime Text 2 (i have my stylesheet open in sublime and my html in notepad) just trying to test the field :)

TheDoc

@_John_ – unfortunately it’s Mac only. For Windows I’ve only had success with one editor outside of DW: Sublime Text 2. It doesn’t have FTP built in, which is unfortunate, but FileZilla is free and gets the job done.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@TheDoc, thanks for the product shout.. im going to research this FileZilla you speak of. Off topic, you a Doctor or you just always fixing stuff? lol… “Theeeey’re Greeeeaaaat!” -didnt forget that one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.